440C gummy?

Sean Cochran

Ive never used 440C, but had a nice bar given to me. Im making a knife to give to my mentor.
Is it me or is it a pain in the rear to grind? I always use 10XX and for stainless I use ATS34.
Anything I can do?
You out there Mike?;)

Sean

I have always found 440C to be fairly easy to grind annealed. I wouldn't call it gummy. I hog out my initial grinds with 60 or 80 grit and then go to 120 and 220 before heat treating.

Despite other issues I've had with it recently, I didn't find it to be gummy. I guess it really does depend where/who you get it from.

All 440C is definitely NOT created the same. I like to mirror polish most of my knives and I have seen big differences in how different batches of 440C finishes. But I have not noticed any significant difference in grinding it.

I guess gummy might have been the wrong word, its not like grinding 300 series, but it is different from the ATS.

Are you sure it is 440C? Will a magnet stick to it? I don't mean to sound silly but a freind of mind bought a grinder and a bunch of knife blanks from a retiring knifemaker and we discoverd that all of the blanks were non-magnetic stainless.

I can't tell the difference between it and ATS. They are almost the same stuff anyway.

300 series is gummy, whether it be grinding or machining.

Back