440C HT

M

mobiaxis

I had some 440C that I was making a utility knife with and the blade shape was not to my liking, so I didn't want to pay to have it heat treated, since I was on the verge of scrapping it anyway.

I just proceeded as if it were 0-1, and it ended up nice and hard and I can't see anything wrong with it...ended up being a reasonably nice knife (for me), so I was wondering why go to all the trouble of paying to have my blades heat treated when I can just do it myself?

There must be SOME reason everyone doesn't do it this way, so if someone could be so kind to educate me, I would surely appreciate it.

Hello and welcome to Knife Dogs!

Some one smarter than me will be along shortly to explain why you heat treat stainless and high carbon steel differently.

BC

Mobiaxis.
There is no way that you could get that 440-C up to it's correct hardness when doing it like you did. It's that simple. Frank

You can get it hard I won't doubt that. A friend was helping in the shop and drilling holes in the tangs on ATS34 for me and was not using oil correctly and going to fast and hard. He got it very hot and burned up a bit and I guess put oil on it then but too late. He hardened the blade in that area because I had to take a carbide bit to finish drilling that hole.

Unless you got it to 1875 deg and held it there for 30 min. probabaly all you wound up with is pearlite,is it hard,yep.Will it last,nope
Stan

Thanks Stan - I was thinking it might be something along those lines. Might just have to take a picture (the 'before' picture...), use the heck out of it and see what happens.

Back