5 min. 2 part epoxy in 1/2 gal. or 1 gal. size

Rey

I have been using harbor frt's 2 part epoxy for some time now but, they only sell it it in small tubes and medium size. I need to know if you all can help me find the larger size used for knife handles and filling hidden tangs. I have looked @ ebay but, they have the clear epoxy for tables etc. I don't know if that will work. The handles I want to fill are the cholla cactus so, it does take quite a bit of epoxy that's why I need to get the larger size. Your input is greatly appreciated. Rey in Texas

Bossdog here at Midwestknifemakersupply sells G-flex, That's the best I have found over the years. It has the slightest amount of give to it since it's designed to bond boats & airplanes together. With hard use knives that there may be torquing with, I find that an important feature.

Its also a 30 minute setting time epoxy and not only is that great when you are bonding more than two pieces together. 30 minute epoxies have greater shear strength than the fast setting kinds.

Also while i do have some Harbor freight tools, there QC is known not to be A grade so I wouldn't think their epoxies would be any better? The kind that Rudy has recommend also looks good.

I'm with Laurence, West Systems GFlex all the way. It's marine grade, has a very good working time, and it works. West Systems also makes the 105 epoxy when used with their 206 hardener that mixes 5:1 works very well with cholla cactus handles. I have used it for that many times before. Also comes in larger sizes.

I'm gona throw my 2 cents in....not to try to change anybody's mind, but just to relay my experiences. Personally, there is no place in my shop for ANY "quick set" epoxies. Some have hear my story as to why, but it's worth repeating.....

When I started out, I used "5 minute" type epoxy. About 6 years after I started selling knives, I had a rash of knives that came back to haunt me with "loose" handles. Some to the point where slabs had completely loosened, with what looked like a fine white powder where the epoxy should have been. Long stary short, I did A LOT of research, and found that all the commonly available expoy makers engineer their products to chemically break down in 5-7 years. It sounded crazy to me too, but one chemist told me that if the product he designed lasted forever, he would quickly be out of a job, which makes sense from a business standpoint. Anyway, after those experience, the only two products that I would recommend are Acraglass from Brownells, or West System Marine epoxy. Acraglass has a 10 year shelf life, and a 50 year hold life. West System marine has a 5 year shelf life, and a 20 year hold life.

I never thought much about the type of "glue" I was using, until it came back haunt me. If you're planning on being a knifemaker longer then a few years, I'd advise you to dump the "5 Min" stuff, and go with one of the products I mentioned. Just Sayin!

I use acraglass and smooth on,smooth on is the epoxy I used when I was producing custom bows,its tuff and flexable but you have to kick it with heat.I just use my bow oven to cook it but you can also set it under a lamp.

Back