8 inch sanding discs

izafireman

Having looked on the USA Knifemaker site for stock on (PSA) sanding discs in 8 inch and not fond any, does anyone know of a supplier who sells these type of discs in the US please? U am in the UK and cannot find any at my two main stockists, normally I use Ryhnalox 40 grit PSA which I find invaluable.

Apparently they are not stocking them much over here as being taken over by hook and loop, yuk.

Thought I would ask here as quicker than the endless searching I have been doing today.

Thanks in advance

I use a spray adhesive called “feathering glue”, I think. Anyway, I put that on the back of sandpaper discs I cut from 9x11 sheets. The stock fine, come off fine, and I can have whatever grit I want.

I will look for that also Kev. managed to find a place in the UK who said that apparently most companies are phasing out PSA discs in favour of Velcro over here. I also found another ceramic belt they make which are made by Starcke I believe which I might give a whirl as Cubitron belts are hugely expensive here..

There is a reason we don’t carry PSA discs. They are miserable to swap out. I hate them.

A Velcro back disc will not make things flat. You will see ripples in your material.

Look for “medium tack” glue or often called feathering adhesive. You will then use (much cheaper) 9x11” sheets and trim to size. You can peel them off and reuse the abrasive later. Swapping a grit is 30 seconds vs scraping off a PSA disc for several minutes.

There is a reason we don’t carry PSA discs. They are miserable to swap out. I hate them.

A Velcro back disc will not make things flat. You will see ripples in your material.

Look for “medium tack” glue or often called feathering adhesive. You will then use (much cheaper) 9x11” sheets and trim to size. You can peel them off and reuse the abrasive later. Swapping a grit is 30 seconds vs scraping off a PSA disc for several minutes.

Hi Boss

It is interesting you say this and I might check the discs of the new supplier by getting a sample before I buy.

The two discs I have been using have been Norton and they on first inspection you would think they might not be that sticky. But when they are pressed onto the sander they stick fine and I have never had a single issue with them sticking to the sander.

Thanks

More than you want to know maybe.

That is great , very informative.
I think I go lucky with my last lot of discs, as although I ones I use at the moment are d doddle to remove I have had them in the past where I had to take a heat gun to the platen. So I am trying to get samples from the supplier before I move onto the feathering glue.

Great post , thanks.

More than you want to know maybe.

Hi Boss

I just looked at this post again as only looked briefly the other night as was exhausted after a long day. Now I have looked at what you have said it certainly makes sense to go the feathering adhesive route. You mention the sanding discs from Beumont works and making your own disc sander which I take it would be used with the plate vertical? Also as you demonstrated with flat stock on the belt grinder I take it that the disc sander can also be used to flatten stock/blanks with success and not just for flattening handle scales?

The machine I use for my scales is just a cheap aluminium mass produced plate and so in no way flat like the discs you were demonstrating so I am thinking of building myself a flat disc sander with possibly a variable control unit, though I imagine that would have to be 3 phase? Would I be correct with this thinking and I am guessing (as haven't searched yet) there are plans on the net for such machines?

Thanks for this.

The disk can be vertical or horizontal. I prefer vertical, some prefer horizontal.
You can use it on blade bevel and the flat part on a blade. Bolsters, liners on folders also.
These don’t require more than 3/4hp motor so you use a VFD controller using 110v and single phase. Most low horsepower rated VFD’s can use single phase 110v and output 3phase for a frequency motor but it is usually poorly documented.
There isn’t any plans as there is nothing to build. Attach a disc to the drive shaft, bolt the whole thing down. Done.
There several how to’s out there on wiring a VFD controller for a belt grinder. See those.

Hi Boss

I just looked at this post again as only looked briefly the other night as was exhausted after a long day. Now I have looked at what you have said it certainly makes sense to go the feathering adhesive route. You mention the sanding discs from Beumont works and making your own disc sander which I take it would be used with the plate vertical? Also as you demonstrated with flat stock on the belt grinder I take it that the disc sander can also be used to flatten stock/blanks with success and not just for flattening handle scales?

The machine I use for my scales is just a cheap aluminium mass produced plate and so in no way flat like the discs you were demonstrating so I am thinking of building myself a flat disc sander with possibly a variable control unit, though I imagine that would have to be 3 phase? Would I be correct with this thinking and I am guessing (as haven't searched yet) there are plans on the net for such machines?

Thanks for this.

The disk can be vertical or horizontal. I prefer vertical, some prefer horizontal.
You can use it on blade bevel and the flat part on a blade. Bolsters, liners on folders also.
These don’t require more than 3/4hp motor so you use a VFD controller using 110v and single phase. Most low horsepower rated VFD’s can use single phase 110v and output 3phase for a frequency motor but it is usually poorly documented.
There isn’t any plans as there is nothing to build. Attach a disc to the drive shaft, bolt the whole thing down. Done.
There several how to’s out there on wiring a VFD controller for a belt grinder. See those.

I am in the UK so its 240V, I am going to get one of my engineering pals to build me something with an adjustable table I think.

Many thanks.

Back