A Blast From the Past

Logrus9

I was driving to pick up some landscape plants and passed a sign that said "Garage Sale - Final Liquidation". I figured "what the heck" and turned around. Found this little "beauty" sitting in a corner.

sideview1.jpg

It's a Powr Kraft waterstone it shows up starting in the 1936 catalog and was made by the Duro Metal Products Co.

frontxe.jpg

I plugged it in very gingerly to test it.

motorf.jpg

Who needs stinkin' covers? Just bolt them wires right on there and let the water fly!

Actually, when I turned it on it was very quiet. One of the "stays" on the side is pretty rusted so I'll have to replace it at some point.

After I clean it up a bit I was thinking of using a very light oil like mineral oil instead of water so it won't rust up again.

The lord works in mysterious ways....A garage sale?,go figur'. If you were purpously lookin for one,you most likely wouldn't find it!! Nice score guy. Ron.

A blacksmith friend of mine went to a garage sale a couple of weeks ago.
He walked around and looked at everything, wasn't anything there he wanted. He was leaving and happened to look over and there, right out in the open, on top of a table was a Whitney 20 punch, with ratchiting handle, in the original blue color and with a set of punches and dies. It had a price tag of $25.00. Now, blacksmiths are not acustomed to looking for blacksmith tools in their original color and condition so he had just over looked it. This is about a $400.00 tool with about $200.00 worth of punches and dies. I told him that I would buy it for double what he paid for it. Durn, he said, "Nothin' doin'". I then asked him if he didn't feel bad, takin' andvantage of that poor guy that didn't know what he had. His reply, "Nope." He paid the asking price, the sale had been going on for 2 days and no body had bought it and he was probably the only guy in the county who even knew what it was.

Nice find.
I bet that motor could be rewound or rebuilt altogether. Great restoration project. The belts look like they're brand new. Not.

Rudy

Ron, you're right, I was at an estate sale in a town I rarely go to, and traveling on a highway I've never been on before.

Wayne, I had no idea what a Whitney 20 punch was until I googled it. I'll keep my eye out for you.

Rudy, I think this motor is OK. We have one motor repair in the area and it's not worth their time to do that kind of work. I brought in a 1940's motor to have them put on a new plug. they told me $35 and it would take a week. I called after 10 days and they hadn't even looked at it. I stopped in and asked for it back after 2 weeks and they gave it back partially dis-assembled and said it was shot. They never mentioned fixing it, or if they had a used one for sale. I got the feeling I was too little for them to deal with.

Oh well, I guess repairing AC motors is something I'll add to my "Need to Learn" list.

Cool tool for sure but please be careful. Stones explode all the time, especially old knocked around stones. That one looks like it has had the RPM increased by adding a pulley. One of my abrasive representatives has told me he has had to attend to two deaths from exploding new modern stones already in his short career. To be sure, these accidents were from much higher RPM machines. I doubt that little thing could ever be spun up very high but still. I don't like being "downer safety first dan" but grinding stones are spooky.

Logrus9,
Too bad about your experience with the shop.
I have one in my area that I've used since the 70s and they've rebuilt everything from an old Hudson generator to alternators and my two starters from my boat. They fix any electrical power source and rewire cars. Glad to hear that motor is ok.

Rudy

BossDog - I only plugged it in for a few seconds, but I'll check the pulley set up and run it low speed. I appreciate the heads-up, I didn't know there was that kind of danger.

Rudy - Plainville's about 3.5 hrs away, but it might be worth it if I can't find anyone closer.

Thank you, I was wondering why they had it set up that way instead of going from the motor to the stone.

Back