A Clean Shop!

EdCaffreyMS

"The Montana Bladesmith"
Well, at least one of them. Spent pretty much the whole day today cleaning the hot shop. I had totally forgotten that there was actually concrete down there! :what!:

Got a student coming in on Monday, so thought I'd best get going. Tomorrow will be cleaning the finish shop. :biggrin:

AT least twice a year. i find stuff I've lost or thought I lost.

Way to organized Ed; it may stunt your work. :)

I just went from a 850 ft shop down to a 3300 ft one car garage shop last summer and more than half of the stuff is still in boxes with grinding dust covering EVERYTHING now! Home Sweet Mess!

I will get it reorganize soon as I heal from my surgery. Things are looking up!

Ed, that sure looks like a great bundle of stuff a lot of guys would love to have, and then with your help learning to use them.
I hope you come out of the surgery better than new, Lawrence. I love reading your posts and seeing anything you post with pictures.

If your like me you won't be able to find anything now till you think, "Oh it's where it is suppose to be"!:biggrin:

Personally, I figure a clean shop is a sign of a sick mind but I guess Ed Is on the fence anyways.

Erik

Man Ed....looks great. How long has it been since you've seen the surface of your welding table? ;)

If your like me you won't be able to find anything now till you think, "Oh it's where it is suppose to be"

Ain't it the truth! :)

How long has it been since you've seen the surface of your welding table?

Oh Man! I can't believe you remembered that! Whats funny is I never realized that the chunk of steel still has the AMTS ink stamps on it! That thing has been there for 15 years....tells ya how long its been since I've seen the cleared table top! :)

Ed

You are hired. When can you be here?

If it would ever get above 32 degrees, I would do some spring cleaning. I am getting a little bit tired of winter.

DeMo

I assume your shop isn't "heated"? :) That was the first thing that went into the plans for my shops...... the hot shop (pictures) has hot water heat in the concrete....and the finish shop has an large "overhead" heater in it. My favorite time of the year is when its below zero outside, and I can fire up the forge in the hot shop and be down to a T-shirt within 20 mins. :)

Today I'm gona tackle the finish shop..... it shouldn't be too bad....just some picking up and a good vaccuming.

I assume your shop isn't "heated"? :) That was the first thing that went into the plans for my shops...... the hot shop (pictures) has hot water heat in the concrete....and the finish shop has an large "overhead" heater in it.

You are correct. Not heated except, occasionally, for my duck blind heater that runs on propane.

I have a very small area in the front of my garage (6x10 approximately). I hate to clean it up. I know it is getting bad when my wife tells me to pick up my mess. "It is impeding her ability to park in the garage." At that point in time, I clean it up, PRONTO!!!! It has only happened one time. I do not want it to happen again. I learned my lesson. So when it warms up - spring cleaning is due its time.

I am hoping that when we retire and move from this big house that I can somehow weasel a shop area outside of the garage. I got 10 years or so to go. We'll just have to wait and see.

Good luck on your clean-up. I hope you find something useful.

DeMo

It is impeding her ability to park in the garage.

Tell her what I told my wife..... The reason cars have paint on them...is because they are meant to be parked outdoors! :) Parking a car in a garage is nothing but a waste of good "shop" space. LOL!

Tell her what I told my wife..... The reason cars have paint on them...is because they are meant to be parked outdoors! :)

Ed

If you ever get tired of making knives for a living - I think you would be a great marriage counselor! :3:

It would not work so well at my house. My wife likes her garage.

Please remember she can be as mean as a biting sow and has a nasty left hook. Good luck with that. :biggrin: I'll wait outside. Just saying.

DeMo

Ed and Demo,
If you guys want to clean a shop your welcome to come to my shop in Miami. It will feel warm to you guys at about 60 degrees today. By Monday it will be 80 plus and too hot again. Plus my wife has given up on the garage, in Miami, a garage is like a basement up north, storage.
Fred

I assume your shop isn't "heated"? :) That was the first thing that went into the plans for my shops...... the hot shop (pictures) has hot water heat in the concrete....and the finish shop has an large "overhead" heater in it. My favorite time of the year is when its below zero outside, and I can fire up the forge in the hot shop and be down to a T-shirt within 20 mins. :)

Today I'm gona tackle the finish shop..... it shouldn't be too bad....just some picking up and a good vaccuming.

Ed, We don't have much of a Winter in comparison if you would call the weather here Winter at all! LOL

The old, Warer heater in the floor trick "To quote Agent 86, Maxwell max" sounds like it would keep your toes nice and toasty warm with the rising heat!:16:

That hot water heat in the floor is the best thing I've ever done! I have a 50 gal, naturl gas hot water heater that is the heart of the system. Its a closed loop system, with a single 1/20hp motor/pump, hooked into a programmable thermostat. It stays set at 55F year round. The only way I know to explain it, is that its the most comfortable heat system I've ever seen. The down side to a system like this is that my floor is 25 yards of concrete, in a monolithic pour. What that means is its a big honkin chunk of concrete, and changing temp on the thermostat....it takes approx 5 days to raise the temp 5 degrees.....likewise for turning the temp down.

So far its been in constant operation since the shop was built in 2002, without a lick of maintenance. If I'm to believe what I've been told, the system shouldn't require any maintenance for 25-30 years.....hope I'm not jinxing it now! :)

When we first moved to Montana, I operated my "hot" shop for about 5 years with the forge being the only heat source.....thats just plain tough in the winter time.....nothing like having to spend 3 hours heating everything up, just to do an hour's worth of work. :(

Back