A custom knife for a tough customer.

Calvin Robinson

Moderator Christian Forum
That tough customer is me! :biggrin:
This is my Big Brother skinner model, I'll skin and quarter six or eight deer a year with it. I flat ground the 4" D-2 blade and hand jigged the chocolate paper micarta. Next order of business, a leather sheath.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 94
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 59
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 60
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 46
Nice knife Calvin, unfortunately I only need my knife to dress one deer, Ha,Ha...last year any how, all I got was one doe, I had a lot going on last year though and the times I did get to the woods, it rained so I guess I'm lucky I got a doe.
I'm going to make one skinner out of 12-C-27 and see how that performs.

I love the design. Super clean lines and very pleasing to look at. Seems to be a Calvin Robinson hallmark!

Simple, yet elegant design, and very well executed as usual. I LOVE that jigging too... May have to try that one of these days.

Fantastic knife, Mr. Robinson! Of course, we've come to expect nothing less from you. Thanks for sharing.

Love the handle texture! I need to figure that one out, looks great.

Too bad you missed the class I gave on my technique for jigging at Blade Show a couple of years ago.
It's realy pretty simple to do, just finish the handle like you want it then use a dremel tool with a cutter that gives the shape you want and jig until your satisfied, just don't hit the pins or bolsters. My technique takes a lot of nerve because I do it after the knife is finished!

Thanks for the tips Calvin, I've seen a couple videos online of guys jigging bone with a dremel, just never had the nerve to do it to a finished knife. I'm usually so relieved that I've got one finished without any major mistakes that I'm too afraid to experiment! Maybe I should re-handle an old machete or something so I can try it without fear.

Too bad you missed the class I gave on my technique for jigging at Blade Show a couple of years ago.
It's realy pretty simple to do, just finish the handle like you want it then use a dremel tool with a cutter that gives the shape you want and jig until your satisfied, just don't hit the pins or bolsters. My technique takes a lot of nerve because I do it after the knife is finished!

I'm guessing that you've primarily used a balled end type cutter to do the jigging? I'm going to have to give this a try in near future...but I think I'll start with some scrap pieces! Great looking knife by the way. I really like the full grind on this one.

I'm guessing that you've primarily used a balled end type cutter to do the jigging? I'm going to have to give this a try in near future...but I think I'll start with some scrap pieces! Great looking knife by the way. I really like the full grind on this one.
Thank you for the compliments Tony.
The cutter I use is round, about 1" in diameter , at first glance it looks like a saw blade but it is about 1/8" thick and has a radius on the cutting edge. I'll try to remember to take a photo of it today and show it here,I'll also try to find the MSC part number and post it here.

Thanks Calvin, that would be a great help.

Here are photos of the cutter,I couldn't find the part number but I bought it from MSC. It's 5/8" in diameter and 1/8" thick. I run it as fast as my Dremel will turn and just tap, tap,tap until I'm satisfied with the look. Then polish it with pink no scratch.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    33.4 KB · Views: 11
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    34.2 KB · Views: 11
Back