A Lil’ Christmas Story (Updated with Secret Santa Info!!!)

Kevin Zito

KNIFE MAKER
************************************************************************************
Edit: Even though these guys resisted, I have to say something.

Gene Kimmi (GeneK), John Wilison, Dennis Moreland, and Scott Kirko, thank you for this amazing gift. It will be cherished forever as will your friendship and kindess. I am still completely dumbfounded by this, and I'm finding it super difficult to write what I feel. All I can say is thank you for the most special gift I have ever received. ########, thank you for putting this all together and making it happen. You are a special person. All of you have a special place in my heart. God bless you!
*************************************************************************************

So today my wife and I were gazing upon the gigantic empty slab we now have where the carport used to be - trying to decide what we want things to look like. Just as we decided to go back inside, the UPS man pulls up. He wrestles with this huge box that is obviously HEAVY. So I laughed and said, “man, what’s in that box?” He chuckled and said, “man, I don’t know.” The box was made of wood and made well. The ups guy and I got if off the hand truck, and by this time I could tell he was interested as well as to what could be in this box... plus I think we are at the end of his route and he was wanting to chat about the demolition of the carport. The top of the box was screwed down so my wife says, “ooh, you can use your new drill.” She runs in and grabs it. As I’m unscrewing, my wife and the ups guy are patiently waiting a few feet away from me to see what’s inside while chatting about the carport. After about 45 minutes lol, the last screw came out. I lift the top and.... I just stare at it in silence for what must have been a minute or two. It was probably the only time in my life that I truly speechless. Without saying a word, I reached in and grabbed a note that was included. I read the note to myself and, being the emotional guy that I am, felt the tears begin to well up. At this point, my wife and the ups man notice my emotions, and the next words out of the ups guy’s mouth is, “man, what in the hell is in that box?” That immediately made me laugh. From that moment on, I have been thinking about what and how to post what I’m about to post.

I have often said that the people who make up the knife dogs are the finest people on earth. They are. I have been blessed in this life in so many ways. The friends that I have made and the gifts I have received are more than a man deserves in 10 lifetimes. I am very lucky.

But... I’m afraid it will take 11 lifetimes to top today. Of all the thoughtful, useful, and valuable gifts that I have ever gotten, the one in the box stands alone. I have never been more surprised, humbled, and happy all at once. I am truly on cloud 9! This is the greatest gift I have ever received hands down.

So what’s in the box? Well, a few of the knife dogs (I’m not sure they want their names to be mentioned... some definitely do not want to be mentioned by name) got together and bought me a Christmas present that I will cherish for the rest of my life. Thank you from the very bottom of my heart. BEST CHRITMAS EVER!!!

A9F45B8A-D692-4B35-9D5C-1B15A6132C2C.jpeg

Last edited:
Well written Kevin. And kudos to the Robin Hood’s who put his together.
Can’t wait to see your work with this new grinder.

I agree with you, Kevin. The Knife Dog community is full of upstanding people who go above and beyond to help each other out. This gift couldn't have gone to a nicer guy. Well done, gentlemen!

With all the doom and gloom in the news we only seem to hear about are the bad things. This shows there are still wonderful people in this country that go out of their way to help others. What an amazing gift! God bless all of you Knife Dogs and MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!

Back