A little HC action dressed in Rosewood burl and copper fittings!

HHH Knives

Super Moderator
Heres one Im working on It should be done today. I still need to add the final edge on this one. But wanted to try and get a few good pics in the morning light!
Its blade is 240mm from tip to heel. With a 2.9mm thickness above the heel. tapering to a super nice thin tip. Blade is 1095 HC with a bright satin finish. The blade is TALL!! Measures 57mm at the heel. The balance point is at the makers mark.

Thanks for checking out the thread. Comments and critiques welcomed!

rosewood1095chefknife007.jpg
rosewood1095chefknife042.jpg
rosewood1095chefknife050.jpg
rosewood1095chefknife035.jpg
rosewood1095chefknife044.jpg
rosewood1095chefknife006.jpg

I like it Randy. That's a pretty good sized blade...and the wood is gorgeous.
Good job!

Eric

That's a fine looker Randy, and the lumber sets it off.

Question : What's up with the MM stuff with kitchen cutlery ?
99% of regular knife measurements are in inches usually, then all of a sudden kitchen knives require a decoder ring to figure out it's dimensions. What's up with that ? Are all these knives going to Europe ? Can you tell this is weighing heavily on my mind ? lol.

Thanks,
Rudy

Looks great Randy.
I'm also with Rudy on this,I just didn't want
to be the only dummy to ask.
Thanks for asking Rudy:34:

God bless,Keith

It's the Ninja thing with the MM's Here's the formula, A 200mm is a 8" er chef, 25mm to the inch guys! so it's a 10" chef in the pictures.
That was the formula that I put in my dumb brain years ago, Still works! My Brain that is! Or there is Cartridge conversion
a .223" is 5.65mm a 308" is 7.62mm

Laurence
www.rhinoknives.com

Thanks Laurence, but....
the meat of the question is: why the flip flop between two measuring systems ? We're in America, let's use common references for Americans. Why can't hunters and bowies have MMs too ? Recently, every time a kitchen utensil is posted, it's in MMs and it's not just here. It's almost like the use of MM is used to elevate the utensil's status to something greater than it actually is. If you look at J. Neilson's kitchen cutlery recent post (around here somewhere), You can understand every measurement given. Anyway...since Randy made it, I figured he would know why we need to get slide rules and decoder rings out to understand what it is he made. I/we may be stupid or something but I've had this conversation with several other people who are scratching their heads as much as me. The consensus is that once we see MMs, we stop looking and reading. I'm sorry if this is looking like a hijack Randy but inquiring minds want to know.

Rudy

Ok, This is a question I also asked. But everywhere I go, All kitchen knives are in mm ..Im sure its because most high end kitchen cutters are from Japan. and They use. mm for there knives.. and most kitchen knife guys have bought a decoder ring and mastered the system.. Myself. Im still learning. Its like everyone is speaking Japanese! LMAO

The knife

It measures a AOL of 14 1/4" and the blade from tip to heel is 9 3/8" The blade thickness is 3/32 aprox. at the thickest, tapering to the tip. Blade height is 2 1/4 inches.

Hope that helps! Now, I do sell decoder rings for all you guys that need them.. PM me!!

Last edited:
Thanks for that explanation Randy.
It's a step towards understanding the comparison to Japanese knives but not why we need to learn MMs if we're not in Japan. Yes, I can see it's an industry standard but being in the USA, I like my references to apply to things I know about and use every day. I guess I'm resisting the tidal wave of globalism. Yeah......I'm a rebel.

:biggrin:

Rudy

Yea, Your a REBEL!

I also had to edit the post because I said 3/16 thick and really its 3/32".. HUGE difference. Now had I not started using MM I would of never done that! lol

Back