A little input...

Lagrange

Didnt know where to post this, so I guess the mod's can move it where it ought to be.
I am designing a knife for my daughter to carry. She wants a dagger style, but wants to be able to put it in her purse. I thought I would make a pouch style sheath.
I just thought I would post this screen dump photo and see if you guys have any suggestions for this one.
She hasnt given me any perameters other than it needs to be small.
Take a look, let me know what you think.
Anyone interested in an autocad file of this project just give me a shout and I can send it to you.

BethKnife.jpg

Looks like a nice little knife,I think she would be proud.
What kind of materials are thinking about using?
My suggestion would be to keep it thin,.093" - .075", and stainless.
Is the guard going to be slotted or piened on in two pieces?

I like the shape a lot. my one concern would be is it going to be too wide for inside the purse carry. By the time you add some kind of sheath it will be pretty husky. Maybe think about making sheath that attaches to her outside purse strap. it would be kind of like carrying it as a vest tactical if she has it over her shoulder.

Erik

I would narrow it and give a bit more of a spear point, more of a elongated triangle shape. As CNC Erik said it may be getting too wide for the purse after a sheath is is made for it.
Also since this is for poking someone that has made unwanted advances.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

Eric, I know you will do a super job of this whatever you end up making. I would recommend you stay with the material thickness of .093 but cut the wideth in half. It will fit better in her purse and as well will be more "handable" should she ever want to use it. As well perhaps a case that just goes up to the guard. Frank

I like the cut down version much better! Go with that one!
Now I'm seeing a Damascus blade,ivory scales and blued guard,or maybe a bronze guard.

Yeah...I'm not seein' the damascus so much. Maybe somewhere down the road, but um, wow...I like the way you think.

I like the narrow version much better too!
I would slim down the handle. Daggers usually have a bit thinner handle that a working hunter or camp knife.

You want something easy to grasp and slide out for then, sliding in! Have your little girl put her hand down on a piece of paper and trace it so you have a reference while sculpting the handle.

I would go with a CPM-154 or other nice stainless.

Keep us posted.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

Okay, so here is the latest print on this one with the handle narrowed down a bit.
What do you think now?

BethKnifeIII.jpg

Eric,
The guard may be a bit to wide and heavy for a purse Dagger. I would make it about half or less of that current thickness to reduce overall weight and only extend about 1/3" out from the blade on both sides.
That would still protect her hand while thrusting and not get hung up in the purse.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

Now that looks very practical and attractive as well.

Depending on the size of the end users hand? You may want to slim down the handle a bit? here a link to one of the best Fighter/Daggers ever designed.
Granted this is not for a pro-Soldier but look how slim the handle is for ease in grasping and maneuvering in your hand.http://fairbairnsykes.net/

I would say now you have a winner and a pattern you can add to your stable of
Lagrange Custom Knives.

Keep up the great work.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

Last edited:
Back