A New knife i just started.

Looking good. I have only one word of advice. Lose the gloves. If you ground free hand not as big of a deal, but grinding on a rest with gloves is asking for trouble. Just get some finger tape instead and dip the blade more often. Also, you really want to feel the heat of the blade. It tells you a lot about what your doing. The gloves don't really let you feel how hard you're pushing. You need to feel that. I just don't want to see you get hurt. Other than that you're doing great.
-John

Looking good. I have only one word of advice. Lose the gloves. If you ground free hand not as big of a deal, but grinding on a rest with gloves is asking for trouble. Just get some finger tape instead and dip the blade more often. Also, you really want to feel the heat of the blade. It tells you a lot about what your doing. The gloves don't really let you feel how hard you're pushing. You need to feel that. I just don't want to see you get hurt. Other than that you're doing great.
-John

Thank's John. I normaly don't grind in gloves becuase i want to feel the steel Becuase i grind after heat treat. but this was a damascus blade that was 1/4" thick and i was grinding it soft. to remove some metal before heat treat. so i was told just grind it and don't worry if it gets hot. so i put on some welding gloves. I have never like working in gloves I lose my feel for things...But thank's for watching out for me. remeber i am a newbie and can use all the help you can give. so believe me when i say Thank's for the info.....

Jeff

Knife looks great Jeff. I really like the pattern. Did you use straight ferric or did you mix it with anything?

Back