A question for fellow slip joint makers.

slatercreek

Alright might open a can of worms here. I am looking for more experienced makers thoughts on relieving liners and pivot bushings. My concerns would be lack of support for the blade tang with relieved liners. As for the pivot bushing my concern would be the limited amount of metal left around the pivot hole if using a bushing. I am mostly worried that these things may effect the longevity of the knife. I have yet to put these two things to the test myself so that is why I pose this question. I wish to build quality pieces that are meant to be used.

I always relieved only the parts of the liners that DON"T touch the blade. Leave the area around the pivot and the parts the spring touches alone. You can use a Dremel and a sanding sleeve for this.

The bushing only needs a wall thickness of 1/32 or so. 1/8 pin, bushing 3/16 diameter for instance.

I am aware of some of the benifits of relieving the liners. Possibly less friction when opening and closing plus not leaving marks from said operation. Thanks Don.

The reason for relieving the liners is to prevent having the liners scratch the blade when you open and close it. The tang around the pivot hole is not relieved. Neither is the area where the spring is mounted.

Back