A small predicament...

Mr.Svinarich

Yesterday I received my first oven, an Evenheat artisan 688. During packaging someone put a blade fixture inside the chamber. upon its adventures through the states with UPS the blade fixture rattled, pins went everywhere and the surface of the chamber was damaged. The thermocouple at the back ( which is encased in ceramic) had the ceramic snapped, not off, but in half. There is also a very prominent chip on the door of the apparatus next to the corner; but perhaps most importantly, 2 very deep cracks in the ceramic of the chamber. The cracks ( at least one) reaches the outside.

How much will these problems (thermocouple, chip, and cracks) affect the performance of the unit?

If there are problems can they be fixed?

The chip at the door would affect the seal but I think the flat part around the perimeter provides most of the seal. If it were me I wouldn't worry about it.

The cracks will let heat and gases escape, I would try and put a little kaowool in t larger cracks , shred a little and poke it in with an awl.

These are just my ideas and I'm no expert in any way, there may be other considerations and better methods. Maybe some refractory cement.

If you would like to try the kaowool and don't have any I could send some.

Last edited:
Thanks for the offer, ill keep it in mind.

What about the thermocouple?
Will it read correctly?
Is it safe to fire it up?

Last edited:
Here is a pic of the TC in my oven, the tip is exposed. and a pic of the same type out of the oven. They make a totally enclosed type that is just a ceramic cover that slides over this type and encloses the exposed end, good for a forge where the environment is much harsher.
thermo couples 001.jpgthermo couples 004.jpg

Mix up some stiff Satanite for the cracks and slather it on or get a jar of Plistix. My oven has a couple through cracks that really don't affect its operation. The ceramics on the thermocouple aren't crucial but they do help it last longer. The chip on the door corner is inevitable....I have one too. If you plan on using PBC....wait till you see what that does to the floor of the oven, I lined mine with stainless sheet AFTER the hole started.lol. FIRE IT UP....live on the edge. *****Unless there's an issue with the power. Were the coils affected ?

Rudy

Mix up some stiff Satanite for the cracks and slather it on or get a jar of Plistix. My oven has a couple through cracks that really don't affect its operation. The ceramics on the thermocouple aren't crucial but they do help it last longer. The chip on the door corner is inevitable....I have one too. If you plan on using PBC....wait till you see what that does to the floor of the oven, I lined mine with stainless sheet AFTER the hole started.lol. FIRE IT UP....live on the edge. *****Unless there's an issue with the power. Were the coils affected ?

Rudy

Thanks Rudy, What is PBC? ( I feel like I should really know this!)

There are no coils in it yet ( I think) so none can be damaged.

Are there any good how-to videos on how to set an oven up?

Or man the rampmaster controls?

PBC is a powder (available from Bossdog) I coat my carbon blades with to avoid scaling, works very well. Setting the controls tutorial is available again from Tracy's site or EvenHeats' site.

Rudy

I think the coils referred to are the heating coils inside, and from the photos the coils are in place now. I think these are the coils Rudy was referring - From the photo the coils "look" ok, as long as they're not hanging out of place nor broken, they should be ok.

Ken H>

Thanks Ken, I should have been clearer, I always assume everyone is on the same page as me. Mr SAV, your heating coils are embeded in the actual lining of your oven....so firing it up is the probably the only way to check if it's operating properly. The thin cracks aren't alarming but a collapsed lining might be another issue. The breaker box will let you know. Get all the operating literature you can and learn your machine, maybe even call the manufacturer for advice. 240 volts is a nasty bite.

Rudy

Rudy

the coils are entirely enclosed in an insulation material called a muff. The design on this oven doesn't use bricks like many larger ovens. The cracks are normal and will not affect the operation. The chip on the door just happens and won't affect anything either.
the ceramic on the K coupler shouldn't be an issue as it there to smooth the temp changes up and down.

I know pictures can be deceptive, but are you sure this is an EvenHeat Artisan 688? The artisan has a baffle that hides the coils and the chamber width is the same as the chamber depth (8w x 8d x 6h). Maybe it's a version of the model from before my time. Anyhow, if it is an evenheat, just contact them for advice. There is a compound they use to repair cracks and they can best answer your thermocouple questions. The customer support there is incredible! www.evenheat-kiln.com

I really appreciate the advice, I learned a lot today!

According to Tracy this is a prototype of the artisan evenheat 688, from other pictures I've seen of the real 688, it looks about the same.
tomorrow will be the real test!

As a side note, if you use foil are there benefits to also using the PCB?

Sounds good all problems have been resolved!

I'll pick up some material to fill those pesky cracks and fire it up tomorrow.

Thanks for the help.

Back