A thread to honour our better halves.

Knifemaker.ca

Dealer - Purveyor
Kevin Cashen just posted something of a tribute to his wife - and her involvement in his world of knives. Check it out at http://knifedogs.com/showthread.php?41777-Annealing-damascus-to-be-machined - post #5

I owe a great deal of both knowledge and wisdom to Kevin and I'm not going to let this lesson slip by unanswered.

I'm pretty good at technical stuff like heat treating, properties of products, IT, and trends, but I would be so lost without my wife Marilyn. She can discuss steel choices with a new maker referencing pros and cons to balance. She can explain differences between A/O belts, zirconia and ceramic and suggest why a person might want to try out a structured abrasive - or not. Somebody will ask "What was that handle block I bought three years ago?" and she'll tell them what it was - and add in some details about why it's special. She remembers whose kids are about to start kindergarten - and who is getting a hip replacement. She does books, inventory, shipping and receiving, not to mention a good portion of advertising and promotions. Have I mentioned she preps blades for heat and foil wraps. If it seems like I owe her so much for the success of our business, that doesn't even touch the surface.

She tells me what's really bothering the kids - that I can't finish up on Thursday because I have a doctors appointment - and what I did (unintentionally) to piss off the cat. She hugs me when I need it - brain dusters when I need them - laughs at my bad jokes - and hardest of all she seems to love me even though she truly knows me.

Anyone else know a woman (or a man) like that? Share it. This thread is for saying thanks -and kudos to those who seldom hear them.

Rob!

I have no doubt that if were not for my wonderful Mrs. (Cindy Caffrey), I'd be broke and certainly not where I am today! During my 22+ years of military service, I NEVER had to be concerned/worried about my family when I was off on a deployment. She is amazing.... while all the other military wives were fussing because their husbands were not there to mow grass or shovel snow, Cindy did it all herself. She handled all of the things that would normally take two. When it comes to money....that woman can turn a penny into a dollar! When we first married, I was one of those "kids" who, if I had a dollar in my pocket.... I had to spend five! She taught me how to handle money, and after 32 years together, we still discuss every purchase we make, whether it be houshold or shop related.
One important aspect is that from the day we married....there was never any of this "mine" and "yours"...... everythng was "ours". I think thats something that many young couples these days forget.

One of my most fond memories of just how good she is to me..... during my last tour of duty in the Middle East before I retired from the military...... we were emailing back and forth...... Cindy made the comment... "Are you going to be a full time Knifemaker when you retire?" I told here that I would really like to try, and here response was "You've done everything for everybody else for 22 years, I think you've earned the right to do what you want to do....but you're going to need a better shop to work in." That was all that she said. When I got back home from that deployment, she had blueprints for a new forging shop, had sourced the building, and all the materials! When she presented it all to me, here only statement was... "If this will work, then lets do it." WOW!!
And here support never stops. Not a day goes by that I don't thank the Lord for giving me such a wonderful person as my "Life Partner".

Back