Advice from CPM154 guys!

scherar

I just started grinding the bevels on a knife I cut out of CPM 154. This is the first stainless experience for me. Most everything up until now has been O-1, 1095 and my Damascus. Am I wrong, or is there just not comparison in the way it grinds! I first noticed things when I was cutting it with the bandsaw. It seemed as though it was getting hard as I was cutting. It never really got hot.

After profiling, I noticed right away that grinding with a newer Blaze belt wasn't going well. I would compare it to grinding O-1 with a severely dull belt. I finally got it hogged (hawged) and went to a 120 and 220. After that, I tried smoothing the tang area with a brand new 60 grit Norton Blue belt and it still didn't want to cut. I know that it air hardens, but it never really gets that hot. I do a couple passes and then dip.

Is this common with CPM 154 or other stainless steels? HOW DOES THIS COMPARE WITH ATS 34?? I am wanting to get into stainless, but man, what a pain in the XX.

Yeh it's a lot tougher than carbon steels,I started with stainless and when I did my first carbon steels I ground right through one.Your not getting it hot enough to air harden it's just tough.I use cpm 154 for most of my knives and ats 34 for some,it all grinds about the same.
Stan

James,

I would assume that it has the mill scale on it. I buy my O-1 precision ground, and it is much smoother/shinier. The CPM 154 is grey in color and is pitted in a sense.

It's not much different than ATS 34 to work. After HT it's a little harder to work than ATS 34.

If you think your having a hard time now wait until it's heat treated.

I learned to make knives with stainless, when I grind carbon steels or Damascus it's like grinding wood.

James,

I would assume that it has the mill scale on it. I buy my O-1 precision ground, and it is much smoother/shinier. The CPM 154 is grey in color and is pitted in a sense.

Yup, that grey/rough surface is mill scale and it's tough as can be. Soak (etch) your CPM154 in white vinegar for a day or two before fighting with it. That will loosen the scale so it can be much more easily ground off. This doesn't harm the underlying good steel. You will save belts, time and frustration by doing this, I promise!

It still won't grind quite as fast as O1 but you'll be much happier once you get past that scale. CPM154 grinds up very clean and smooth, and takes a beautiful finish and edge. Have fun!

The most important with Stainless steel is new sharp sanding belts all the time. The used belts can be kept for sanding the handles untill they are to dull for that.

Back