African Blackwood

If you have the ability to re-cut wood check out the wood turning supply companies. As far as ready cut scales and handle blocks goes, I haven't had to look for a while.

Doug

I've gotten most of mine from sellers on Instagram. @flemingwoodsupply has some scales and @kiranskoa usually has some blocks.

I've had luck with woodworkers supply. It's a beautiful wood but I question how long it's going to be available.

One of the positives to having moved to Portland is these guys are local. I can spend hours rummaging through the warehouse....
Blackwood is my personal favorite handle material. And a big YEP!! Before I stopped going to the Eugene show, I would always stop at Gilmer on the way home! The biggest issue I have with Blackwood these days is finding suitable sizes for knife handles..... everybody wants to sell blocks that are 1 1/2" square..... just not enough for the handles I make. I'm always on the lookout for larger sized pieces I can resaw.

just not enough for the handles I make. I'm always on the lookout for larger sized pieces I can resaw.
Soooo....how much larger? I plan on heading over there in a few weeks to pick up some of their cheap ebony scales and would be willing to look for you.

I used to use a lot of African Blackwood several years ago for a black ferrule for Japanese style knives instead of the Buffalo Horn. I found out it is a sensitizer and blew my allergies to wood way out of control. I would get skin reactions (swelling and itch) when working with cocobolo, then ziricote, bocote, rosewood. I worked with African Blackwood as a dark wood a lot and then started getting reactions to stabilized wood and even stuff like pine. Make sure to wear a respirator and wash your skin off well! It can make allergies to other woods worse.

I am able to work with synthetics and stabilized woods again, but make sure always to wear the respirator and try to wear long sleeves and shower ASAP after finishing for the day.

Back