am i pricing right?

KHKnives

im getting 40-50$ a piece for my karambits on ebay, no reserve or buy it now, im starting them at 20$. i havent attended a show as a seller yet because i want something to really bring to the table and im worried that i might be laughed out of the show or waste my money on renting a booth or table. my knives are 1095 steel at this time and ive got about 1-2 hours in each knife according to how its finished. arizona custom want me to send in my stuff and still i dont think its professional caliber yet. heres an example, this one sold for the minimum bid of 25$

Attachments

• DSCN1220.jpg
    DSCN1220.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 53
If you don't think they are "professional caliber", then you probably shouldn't sell them until you believe they are. eBay isn't the best place to establish yourself as a maker in my opinion. You gotta set a price and stick with it. If you have a minimum bid of 25 dollars, then you're basically telling your customers that that's what you think they are worth.

i agree, i think they are sellable thats why i put them on ebay to begin with. just to get a feel of making and selling. my feedback there is impecable though, with comments like "pictures dont do this justice" and "this is a true artist". youre right though and the advice is very much appreciated. thank you sir

I agree with Michael about Knifemakers and Ebay. I cringe any time I run across one of my knives listed on Ebay (it's always a secondary sale situation as I have never offered any of my work on Ebay)....although that is not looked upon with as much disdain as a maker listing his knives there.
In the custom knife world, the thought pattern goes something like this: If a knifemaker must resort to listing his knives on Ebay, then he must not produce a level of quality that is sellable in the custom knife market. The tough part is that once a person does it (sells his own knives on Ebay) and it is noticed by the knife world, it's difficult for him/her to ever shake the stigma that comes along with it.

Now, having said that, it's certainly not a blanket statement. There is at least one custom maker that I know of who makes specialty cutlery, and has been super successful on Ebay, selling pieces for $8K+, but he caters to those outside the mainstream of the custom knife world, and therefore the mindset of his clients are different.

Wow, thank you, that really makes a lot of sense. As a new knifemaker it is hard to sell to seasoned custom collectors and I do need some sort of turn around on the money I'm spending on this passion of mine. However I see your point and will be sending my new stuff to arizona custom. Point taken as I do not want to degrade myself as an artist. Thank you Ed and Micheal for the great advise, your opinions are appreciated and respected.

That's interesting info about selling on Ebay possibly hurting your value in the long run. I hadn't even thought about that.

Back