Anodizing Titanium Question ?

G

Glenn Dykes

Need a little help here folks. Can someone tell me if they have had success with Washing Detergent and Distilled water for Anodizing Titanium. Also what is the mixture you use? Thanks in advance Glenn

Glen,

I went through the experimentation stage trying all kinds of stuff to create the perfect electrolyte for Anodizing Titanium. The best I have ever found is a mild solution of Sulphuric Acid and Distilled water. Go to a plumbing supply store (not Home Depot or Lowes) and buy some Industrial Strength Drain cleaner. It is primarily Suphuric Acid with some other inert ingredients. Use 1 tablespoon of the sulphuric drain cleaner to a gallon of water. This is by far the best solution I have found. Be careful.....wear gloves......eye protection.....and so on.

I've been using TSP (Tri Sodium Phosphate) for many years. I was worried when they took phosphates off the market that I'd never be able to make a good batch of anodizing solution again...not so. The new stuff works just as good as the old. I buy mine at the local hardware store....it's in the painting section, and is used a a wall cleaner prior to priming/painting. It comes in a granular form.

I mix a saturated solution of TSP to distilled water. (fill my anodizing container with distilled water, and then stir in the TSP until I won't dissolve any more.)

I've also used straight Coca-cola, and saturated salt solution with equal success to the TSP. I've come to realize that its not so much about your anodizing solution as it is the power source you utilize.

Ralph Turnbull told me years ago about Coke. I never liked it. I have a box of TSP that's been around for many years, and yes, it has phosphates in it. I put a couple of heaping tablespoons in a quart jar. We have pretty good water here so I don't bother with distilled.

I use the same power source that Reactive Metals sells but from a different company at half the price. Like Ed says, use a good power source.

David

Thanks for the the help guys I really appreciate it !

The best stuff I have used, by far, is Cascade powdered dishwasher detergent. Beats the pants off of TSP. It takes some prep, though.

Bring some distilled water to a boil. Keep adding Cascade until it won't dissolve anymore. Filter it through a coffee filter and put it in *something*. (I use an old plastic Coke bottle)

Use just a little of this stuff in distilled water. Works really nicely. You can control your current draw by adding more or diluting it.

The other thing that really helps is Multi-etch from Reactive Metals. It's pricey but it really does work.

Dave

Back