Another Anvil Question

murphda2

Super Moderator and KD Blade Show Boss
I have the chance to get this anvil. I have yet to see it in person and I'm not even sure of the weight yet. A soldier I work with on occassion has a brother-in-law who is a former farrier. My buddy and I were shooting the bull the other day and I asked if he knew anyone back home who might have an old anvil. While back in Arkansas this weekend, he went by to see his brother-in-law and he gave him this anvil. I'm guessing I can get it pretty cheap if not for free (or trade for a knife).

All I know about the anvil is that the only marking on it is the "U.S.A" which is visible in the photo. The face dimensions are 10 3/4" x 3 1/2".

Can anyone provide any insight as to who the maker is and what quality it may be?

attachment.php

Attachments

• Anvil.jpg
    Anvil.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 114

javascript:PopupWindow ('customer-curfman-lrg.jpg', 600, 497, 'Euroanvils')
I
javascript:PopupWindow ('customer-curfman-lrg.jpg', 600, 497, 'Euroanvils')
javascript:PopupWindow ('customer-curfman-lrg.jpg', 600, 497, 'Euroanvils')n my opinion this is the best stand that you can build. You can get up close to the anvil, get your feet under it and brace your hip against it. That gives you 3 point contact, just like shooting a rifle, which equals better hammer control. The base of this stand is about 1" thick and when chalked to the anvil the weight of the stand is added to the anvil. The legs are thick walled rectangle tubing.
You can view a larger picture at http://www.euroanvils.net/customer.php

If the anvil is free it is worth getting....The fact that the letters are raised indicates that the anvil is cast. Check the ring and rebound. If it gives a dull thud it is probably cast iron and not good quality. To check rebound, if you have any 1” ball bearings drop one onto the anvil from about 2’ and see how high it bounces. If you don’t have the bearing, hold a hammer loosely and let it fall onto the anvil and see how high it bounces.

It appears that there is a casting line running the length of the anvil. This would probably indicate a low quality cast iron anvil. It does not appear that this anvil has been used. The face, edges and horn are to perfect. If you are having to pay for it or trade a good knife, be careful that you are getting what you think you are.

Been working different schedules than my buddy and haven't had a chance to link up with him to take a look at it yet.

Hey Murph, My motto is "if it's for free, it's for me":D It will get you started in the Hammerhead(coined phrase from Ray:D) community:p it looks like it's under 100# but clean. if you don't like it you can always give it back. Do you already have a forge?

Hey Murph, My motto is "if it's for free, it's for me":D It will get you started in the Hammerhead(coined phrase from Ray:D) community:p it looks like it's under 100# but clean. if you don't like it you can always give it back. Do you already have a forge?

Hey Hammerhead, I am not the originator of the term but if it fits where it. :D

I am with you about the free thing. It sure looks to be in really good shape. It could also be cast steel. I'm also thinking it to be 100 pounds or less. Give it a test drive if you get a chance. If the hammer is slow to return that is not a good sign.

Wonder where the pritchel hole is? For that price, if it's too soft, you could have a hard face welded on, or a hard surface welded on and surface ground true.

I'm keeping my yes and ears open and still searching. I heard about an old knifemaker that may have a couple for sale locally and Bubba-San is cleaning one up for me as well. If all goes well I'll have an anvil in the next few weeks. I've also got a real good lead on a custom vertical forge at a good price. I'm going to try to follow up on the forge lead while driving home to Arkansas tomorrow.

I think that the pritchel hole is obscured in the photo in the upper corner of the heal. A pritchel hole is not necessary to a quality anvil and serves no real purpose if you aren't hot punching holes.

Doug Lester

I never actually use the pritchel hole on either of my anvils. I just noticed that I couldn't see it in the picture. I haven't actually ever seen a quality traditional anvil without one, though, but I haven't seen everything.

Back