Another Game Dinner Knife

backtines

Hey Guys this is another one of those knives that I had in my latest pile of stuff that wasn't done at the time.. This one is ready for Friday nights dinner..

I aged the blade in this one . I used some nice sandbar stag too.. I also rounded off the pins on this knife because I didn't want to grind away the nice deep ruts in the stag.. Even though I ground down the front of the scales and got rid of the grooves in the scale , I still decided to round the front pins too , just to give it some balance to match the back.. I think the sheath came out pretty cool too..

Thanks for looking guys and whatta ya think about the pins ?

Everything is working together with this combination, color, texture, design, workmanship.
Pins look great.

Mikey,

I really like the lines of the knife, just enough curve from the blade to the handle, but a few sharp or angular features to make it look like it means business. The fit and finish are the mark of a true craftsman. Are you going the KITH? I like to get that one!

I think the pins not only look good, they will add an element of reference for location making the knife easy to orient in your hand without looking at it.

Duncan

That turned out great! I always love the vicious flowing profiles on your knives and this one does not disappoint.

I really like it. I just did my first slip joint with stag (my first time using stag) and I did the same thing with the pins. I didn't really want to grind them down either. I think the domed pins look good if they are even and uniform, and yours certainly look good. I think the little hammer marks that are left on the pins just fit a knife with stag handles and the aged blade. The sheath looks very nice as well. I had a few "favorites" in this volume of your work and this is one of them.

Bill

What a great looking knife. I really like the uniformity of the finish you put on the blade. The pins are well done also. I prefer that look to flush ground on stag for the reasons you have already mentioned.

Thanks guys. I'm pretty happy with the way it came out .. It was a first for rounding off the pins .. I think it does give it a different look and feel .. I guess it just works well with this one..

Mikey, yes I agree with every dog here, it looks great.
I have a question on the stag. Did you buy it with the grooves? Is it bone? Is it amber dyed? Is it stag? Wait thats 4 questions.
BTW the red liners "Set it Off"

Thanks everyone.. Hey Bruce , Im gonna be real honest with you .. To my understanding , I believe it is amber dyed stag.. Thats what it was marked and I wanted to second guess it , because you can see the little grooves in the valley's .. So I was going by what it was marked.. It does look like a dyed bone that was grooved doesnt it ..

yea i like it!! everything match together perfect !, excellent jobe with the pins round and symetrical !!
how did you get this effect on the blade! you stone wash her! and if you do, you use some acid or vinegar??

It looks really similar to the amber stag I just worked recently. I'm certainly no expert but it looks real to me. The whole knife is a winner, domed pins included.

Do tell us more about the patina on the blade. Mustard finish I'm guessing?

Thanks again guys .. Ok here's how I did the finish. I picked these tips up from John Cohea, give or take a step or two.

1. After ht and temper , I hand sand upto 600 grit

2. Clean blade real good, get rid of all oil from hand sanding, wipe down with alcohol.

3. After blade is clean, hang blade in Feric Chloride for 2 min or so.

4. Remove blade from FC and then put hang it into bleach. (I have a PVC tube of FC and next to it a have a PVC tube of bleach )

5. Leave blade in bleach for 10 min or so. Don't mess with it , let the bleach do its job ( when the bleach mixes with the FC, it causes a chemical reaction and cause the blade to rust)

6. Remove blade from bleach (after 10 min) and clean all the brown goop and dark oxides off The blade in your swamp bucket. I use a piece of 400 or 600 to clean.. Don't expect the blade finish to look like mine after the first cleaning. You're gonna have to repeat this cycle about 4 times or more until you get the look you want

7 After cleaning off blade , go back into FC and repeat cycle till you get pitting look you want .

8. After getting the pitting you want. (You'll notice it while cleaning in swamp bucket). Clean blade and back into the FC for a min or so just to turn blade dark.

9. Take blade out and spray blade with windex ( this will stop the FC from working.. Spray it good ) let it drip for a while , then I hit it with a blow dryer to dry it off a little , then spray it with wd40 . Now don't touch it for an hour or so.

10 after blade is hanging for an hour ,wipe it down and LIGHTLY hand sand with 600 or 800 grit. All you want to do is sand over the high spots. The dark will stay in all the nooks and crannies.. And you will see a beautiful finish.

11 after the wiping and light hand sanding , your done. I lightly buff, but you gotta be careful you don't pull the dark out of the holes if you know what I'm saying..

Oh yeah, I hand pin my bolsters and pin my scales and get as close to finish as possible before you dip our blade.. You don't wanna start grinding handles and bolsters after you have the nice aged finish on your blade..

Take a practice piece of steel and practice on it while your working in your shop on other knives , just so you get the hang of it.

I hope this helps you guys..

Backtines, beautiful knife and thanks for those instructions. I have seen similar "recipes" but have been a little scared to try due to the possibility of creating dangerous fumes. This link from Duke Univ. makes it seem like there is a possibility of a violent release of chlorine gas if you mix FC and bleach.

https://www.safety.duke.edu/OHS/Documents/Bleach incompatibility information sheet.pdf

Do you have any safety precautions you are taking or do you think that in the amount of FC that is getting added to the bleach it is not a big concern?

Back