Another grinder question.

Coyote_killer2013

Sorry I keep asking all these questions, but I need the help.:biggrin: Alright I need a wheel for a 2x72 belt grinder I'm building. Its a 2 wheel belt grinder I've got one wheel already attached to the arbor from the motor and I need the other wheel. I may need another wheel to go onto the arbor as well. Please be specific. I looked at some on usknifemaker but dont know what I need. Thanks

I'm not understanding why you would need two wheels on the arbor. If you can post a pic of what you have assembled it will be easier to make suggestions.

I got this thing, this one time, from this place, and I can't find them again, does anyone know where I can get another one?

Please be specific...

;)

Pics will really help...
Heck, a clearer description would really help.

Last edited:
I got this thing, this one time, from this place, and I can't find them again, does anyone know where I can get another one?

Please be specific...

;)

Pics will really help...

Hey,I saw one of those once at this place,just down the road from another place,but they've since moved,but if I see where they moved to I'll let ya know.
(better to be a smarta$$ than a dumba$$ my daddy always told me:biggrin:
129081351604676049.jpg

Last edited:
Alright sorry sorry, I dont mean 2 wheels on the arbor. I mean a 2 wheeled vertical belt grinder. 1 wheel on the arbor and another wheel higher as a "contact wheel" I guess. The wheel I am talking about is the one that is not attached to the arbor of the motor. The one that is above the motor. Sorry for the confusion, maybe this will clear things up. I'll try to post pics as soon as possible.

Hope you know we're just teasing you...

Without being familiar with your particular design, it's hard for anyone to offer any real help.

There are hundreds of options for grinder configuration/design, and we can't tell which one is yours.
So, we can't tell you what you need.
Words like above and below are meaningless without knowledge of the design.

Will it be a contact wheel, or tracking wheel?
What diameter do you want/need?
Etc...

BTW a 3 wheel grinder is easier to build, believe it or not, and more versatile.

I know you guy are just kidding. I may have to make this grinder a 3 wheel grinder not sure yet. I think the bottom wheel that is on the arbor is fine but it may not be.:what!:

belt grinder 002.jpg
This is the top wheel which is what I need to replace. Because it doesn't track straight.
belt grinder 004.jpg

belt grinder 005.jpg
Hope these are ok.

Hey Coyote, I like the spirit. I remember when I first started grinding blades. its like a fever, an illness. but not just anything can cure an illness and not just anything can grind steel. your 2x4 setup may get you started but you may be setting your self for some real frustration. check out this guys 2 wheel grinder, especially the diagram of the tracking mechanism. and your upper wheel or tracking wheel should be crowned, it'll track much better. What ever you do, just remember to be safe while your having fun.

This guy's got some good ideas.
http://www.cnccookbook.com/CCKnifeMakingGrinders.htm

Alright thanks for the info, so I need a crowned tracking wheel, thats what I needed to know. And I also know wood isnt as good as metal. There may be a new project to waste time on.:biggrin:

yes, the tracking wheel needs to be crowned so it will track straight. The belt will always try to run on the high spot. You might be able to run a few wraps of 1 inch wide tape around the middle of the top one and get by for a while.

Nice build Coyote_killer2013
Is that spring position creating enough tension? Looks like it needs to be shortened up a bit and brought back some on the lower connection...could just be me though?

I hope I didn't come off as picking apart your design?
I am actually in the process right now of building a grinder similar to yours.

Back