Anvil question

Thanks again guys,

Todd,

I just ran across that craigslist add via google search.

I was thinking the TFS 125# May be a good way to go. Plus no shipping.

The versatility would be good to have.

Anyone used the TFS anvils ?

Thanks again guys ! Josh
Never heard of the TFS brand. I'd check to see where it was made and avoid it if Russia or China are mentioned.

I have used Vulcan anvils. Although not the best I had no dislike for them. A really good started anvil for sure.

TFS anvils are made by...Texas Farrier Supply. They're considered one of the better US made anvils out there, along with JHM (like mine), possibly not quite as nicely finished as the JHM, but a nice lively anvil. I worked on a couple of these, team shoeing back in the
'80s.

Josh, if you come over to check these out, stop by.

Todd,

Will do.

I mapquested the place and I'd be going right past you on the way there.

I found the 125# TFS anvils online for $640 so $445 and no shipping sounds pretty good.

I surely like the idea of spening a little more than e-bay surprize and at least know I'm getting an anvil that will at a minimum provide me some years of good service.

I'll give you a call if I decide to make the trip over your way. It would most likely be Saturday, if they are open.

Thanks again, Josh

I took a look at the TFS. Looks to be a fine anvil! I've been using my old Trenton for 16 years and it looks like it will last at least a 100 more years. I've got a feeling if you do get the TFS it will hold up just fine.

Hey Josh,

I'm with Todd, Ray, and Wayne. If you are only able to have one anvil for awhile you might want a traditional style to start with. :cool:

My other (and first) anvil is a 159 lb. Peter Wright (PW). It's mounted on a laminated 2X base with construction adhesive and half moon wedges bolted into the base on each side. I used the PW to forge some of the anvil stand parts for the Sea Robin style anvil you used at Todd's. ;)

When you find one give me a call and I'll haul it to your place, as I know you don't have a truck :eek::D;)

Last edited:
A question for the anvil guru's.

I have a couple of Peter Wrights, a 170# and a 129#, but would also like a post type.

Living where I do, I don't have much of a source for really heavy chunks of heat treatable steel.

My question is, if I can buy a chunk of 5in square and have it heat treated, how thick would it have to be to then weld it to a heavy multiple piece base, and not ruin the heat treat?

Leadfoot

Mike,

I'm still thinking about it but I'm really leaning towards going with one of the anvils Todd mentioned.

I sure do appreciate the offer but even my HOTROD can handle 125#'s LOL. I gotta get in gear and deposit a couple checks I've been sittin on so I'll be ready to pull the trigger on one of these anvils.

Thanks for reminding me of my long gone 4x4 buddy, LOL. I love me a good pick-up truck but when I got this car I was thinking about being able to drive to Texarkana, Hammer-in's, and to visit my knifemakin buddys ;) It's working out good so far !

Thanks everyone for helping me make this decision.

Hopefully I'll be able to report back with some good anvil news this weekend.

-Josh

I scored this 191# Peter Wright off the Bay for $200

Ricky, That's a good deal! What kind of shape was it in?

I was just thinking about all the anvils that got melted down to make weapons for WWI and WWII. I bet that's were most of them went. My old Trenton is going in the hole with me when I go.

I found a few used ones for sale tonight and have sent out e-mail inquiring about condition and asking for additional photos. Hopefully I'll get some good news back in a day or two. Josh, how far are you willing to travel to pick one up. I found a 165lb Peter Wright for sale for $425. It's a bit more than I have to play with in my budget right now. I'm thinking I may try for a JHM I found for sale.

Have you looked at Emerson anvils. They are new anvils sold from Emmerson horseshoe supply they have a selection from about 100# to 250# I have seen all of the sizes and used a couple. Al at riverside machine is a dealer but you can get them from the Bosier, LA store

The Ol girl has a belly in the sweet spot but shes in overall good condition. ;) She's good enough for me2thumbs I'm going to hit the top with a Belt sander(don't have one) to true it up a bit. I did hit it a little with my 2" belt grinder, helped a little, but not much.
Picture20422-1.jpg

Picture20419-1.jpg
Ricky, That's a good deal! What kind of shape was it in?

I was just thinking about all the anvils that got melted down to make weapons for WWI and WWII. I bet that's were most of them went. My old Trenton is going in the hole with me when I go.

Rusty- I have looked at the emerson anvils online and have been considering them as an option.

Murph- I hadn't really thought of how far I'd drive. I suppose as long as I could make the trip there and back in a day I'd do it if the price and the anvil were right.

I've been watching Craigslist for awhile but perhaps I should check out georgia Craigslist also.

-Josh

The Ol girl has a belly in the sweet spot but shes in overall good condition. ;) She's good enough for me2thumbs I'm going to hit the top with a Belt sander(don't have one) to true it up a bit. I did hit it a little with my 2" belt grinder, helped a little, but not much.
Picture20422-1.jpg

Picture20419-1.jpg

$200.00 is still a good deal. Like you said not the best shape but it looks like it is working. Did you ever get it up high enough so don't have to sit on the curb to use it?

:DIt ain't that Bad Ray, LOL I need it up about another 4-6 inches would be nice. Anytime my bud from upstate brings my new dang log down, Damn slacker:p

Boy anvil shopping sure is tough, LOL

I may be back to the "make your own anvil" concept.

Stopped by a local welding and fab. shop today and took a look around. The one thing they had that was of interest to me was a piece of 4" plate of around 4'x4' with a rectangle burned out of one corner.

I asked if they could burn me off a piece and he said no problem there. Of course the Owner who would do the pricing wasn't there but the fella thought he'd let it go CHEAP because it had been sitting there for years. (I'm hoping this could be a trade for a knife, LOL)

So assuming the price is right... I'm thinking a 4"x12"x28" piece at 380#'s should be plenty of mass and the right height with a base and face.

Now I've been thinking about everyones suggestions and advice. So I'm thinking of getting a 1"x4"x12" piece of annealed 4140 and putting in a hardy hole and a countersunk screw hole on each end then drilling and tapping the base. Heat treat the face and screw it down tight with some construction adhesive between the face and body.

400# homemade with a hardened, removable, and replacable face.

What do you guys think?

If this falls through I'm ditching ideas of homemade anvils and just buying one, LOL.

Thanks again for all the help guys.

-Josh

I'd try the 4"x12"x28" chunk by itself. I'd guess if the mating surfaces weren't well machined, you'd be hammering on adhesive. Also, the heat will definitely get through the 1" hard plate.

Hope it works out, Craig

That actually sounds like a good Idea, to me. I've got a post type anvil that I do most of my blade forging on that is 4" x 7" x 20" set in a bucket of cement that works well, but I'd like to have a harder face. I've thought about hard surfacing the face and then having it surface ground back true, but I don't want to bust it out of the cement. Your solution may be just the ticket. Todd is right about the versatility of the traditional style. Too bad Harbor Freight doesn't still carry those 110lb. Russian made cast anvils. You could get one of those cheap and have the horn, hardy hole, and pritchel hole to use, and use your post anvil for heavy forging.

Back