Any thoughts of using Air lapping tool for sanding the blade?

RayJ

Hi guys I’ve been watching some of Artistic Son’s videos on YouTube and his use of air lapping tools to help get the finish honed in is pretty convincing.
Go to 10:48 to see what I’m talking about.

This is the only place I have seen these types of tools being used.
Any thoughts on this?

ray

I watched the video, and am not sure what you are talking about in reference to "air lapping tools"? At the time index you mentioned, he is using a Oscillating tool. I posted about how I use one..... https://knifedogs.com/threads/do-you-own-an-oscillating-tool.51784/

It can be a real labor/time saver when finishing blades. Personally, I still do that final bit of finishing by hand..... after using the Oscillating tool, simply because there is just no other way to achieve that certain look/attractiveness in a finish.....other than by hand.

I watched the video, and am not sure what you are talking about in reference to "air lapping tools"? At the time index you mentioned, he is using a Oscillating tool. I posted about how I use one..... https://knifedogs.com/threads/do-you-own-an-oscillating-tool.51784/

It can be a real labor/time saver when finishing blades. Personally, I still do that final bit of finishing by hand..... after using the Oscillating tool, simply because there is just no other way to achieve that certain look/attractiveness in a finish.....other than by hand.
I asked the creator of the video and he told me he was using an Air Lapping grinder. Powered by a compressor. Not really many available here in the states. I have the oscillating Dremel and happened to just buy new sand paper for it so will give it a shot today..

Hmmm...... I went searching, and couldn't find any tool by that name..... but hey, if it works....that's what matters. I've used several different types of air tools over the years for finish work, but they all had their own drawbacks which turned me away. For a long time, I used a palm sander, with the rubber backing pad removed, and replace with G10. It worked well, until I discovered the oscillating tool....which is currently my favored tool....at least until something else comes along! ;)

Great timing, as this is something I just recently started looking into myself. I just posted a similar thread a few days ago on another knife making forum, and nobody seemed to have any clue what I was talking about. haha

The air lapper you're referring to is actually at 11:30ish. Before that, he's using an oscillating multi-tool. Those you can get an any big box hardware store. I bought a "Tool Shop" brand at Menards several years ago for about $30 IIRC, and it's a great little tool for all kinds of things.

As for the air lapper, jewelers and tool and die/mold makers use something similar for detail polishing. Some times they are referred to as "ultrasonic polishers" and the electric versions can run anywhere from a few hundred to a few thousand dollars. There's some polishers from a Chinese brand labeled under "YCJS" that I've seen on eBay and aliexpress. I'm a little hesitant to tool the trigger on one though, because it's still $400 to $500, and I just don't know how well it would work.

On the the other hand, I did recently find this on on amazon:

which looks like it might be similar to what he was using. The one in the video looks like it holds slightly larger stones though, so I don't know. The video you posted is the first time I've seen anybody using one, as well, but I personally think it's a technique that would really take off if more makers knew about it (as well as what tools and stones to use).

Just as an aside, I bought some EDM die polishing stones a couple of years or so ago, and they're great for hand polishing. They're about 1/2"x6" stones and you can get anything from I wanna say like 80 grit up to 2000 or better. That may very well be the type of stone he's using on his air lapper. The point I want to make though, is that tool and die makers have been using these for years, but they've only recently been incorporated by knife makers, and nearly everyone I know of who has started using them absolutely love them. I'd been thinking about trying to find a way to "power" them for a while now, when I saw some ultrasonic polishers and power die filers a while back. Now I'm just trying to see if I can find a decent one for less than $1k.

Hmmm...... I went searching, and couldn't find any tool by that name..... but hey, if it works....that's what matters. I've used several different types of air tools over the years for finish work, but they all had their own drawbacks which turned me away. For a long time, I used a palm sander, with the rubber backing pad removed, and replace with G10. It worked well, until I discovered the oscillating tool....which is currently my favored tool....at least until something else comes along! ;)

Ed do you have an pics of your oscillating set up? This is something I might have to look into.

Great timing, as this is something I just recently started looking into myself. I just posted a similar thread a few days ago on another knife making forum, and nobody seemed to have any clue what I was talking about. haha

The air lapper you're referring to is actually at 11:30ish. Before that, he's using an oscillating multi-tool. Those you can get an any big box hardware store. I bought a "Tool Shop" brand at Menards several years ago for about $30 IIRC, and it's a great little tool for all kinds of things.

As for the air lapper, jewelers and tool and die/mold makers use something similar for detail polishing. Some times they are referred to as "ultrasonic polishers" and the electric versions can run anywhere from a few hundred to a few thousand dollars. There's some polishers from a Chinese brand labeled under "YCJS" that I've seen on eBay and aliexpress. I'm a little hesitant to tool the trigger on one though, because it's still $400 to $500, and I just don't know how well it would work.

which looks like it might be similar to what he was using. The one in the video looks like it holds slightly larger stones though, so I don't know. The video you posted is the first time I've seen anybody using one, as well, but I personally think it's a technique that would really take off if more makers knew about it (as well as what tools and stones to use).
Drew I was looking at that same one in Amazon! May have to try it out, meanwhile I have a rubber platen fixture that I’m trying to use to get most of the scratch marks out and now I’ve just ordered a surface grinder attachment so hopefully that helps..

What size compressor would you need for that? I have a small 2gal in the shop. There’s a bigger one in the garage but that’s out of the way .. lol

Ed do you have an pics of your oscillating set up? This is something I might have to look into.
I use a Makita 18V model..... just because I hate cords getting in my way..... but I think even a HF version would do the job. I purchased the triangle sanding pad for it, but ground all the velcro off, and use feathering adhesive or contact cement to hold the paper on. You can go through a lot of those little triangles of paper...but it rarely even adds up to a full sheet.

Here's the pics of mine..... https://knifedogs.com/threads/do-you-own-an-oscillating-tool.51784/

What size compressor would you need for that? I have a small 2gal in the shop. There’s a bigger one in the garage but that’s out of the way .. lol
I'm not sure to be honest. I think I recall seeing some similar tools on eBay that called for somewhere around 3 or 4 CFM. Could be more, could be less I suppose.

This may be what that fella was using. Die filing is a miserable shop job in machine shops. Air filers are a little less so....

I have one...but have not tried it on knives with a sand paper attachment. It would be simple to do. But not by me as my current batch of blades are convex and that has been plenty of learning curve...lol.

central Pneumatic is (one of)
harbor Freight's house brand and may be cheaper through them...

This may be what that fella was using. Die filing is a miserable shop job in machine shops. Air filers are a little less so....

I have one...but have not tried it on knives with a sand paper attachment. It would be simple to do. But not by me as my current batch of blades are convex and that has been plenty of learning curve...lol.

central Pneumatic is (one of)
harbor Freight's house brand and may be cheaper through them...

Have you posted any pics of these convex blades.... I’m interested

I believe I found the tool:

Looks like there are a few variations (varying RPM, straight vs oscillating, etc...)

You can find the TLL-07 on Amazon or eBay. Personally, I think the TRS-12 might be the better option, but you’d have to go through AliExpress. I’ve seen the same tools on other supply sites for $100s of dollars. Makes you wonder....

I use a Makita 18V model..... just because I hate cords getting in my way..... but I think even a HF version would do the job. I purchased the triangle sanding pad for it, but ground all the velcro off, and use feathering adhesive or contact cement to hold the paper on. You can go through a lot of those little triangles of paper...but it rarely even adds up to a full sheet.

Here's the pics of mine..... https://knifedogs.com/threads/do-you-own-an-oscillating-tool.51784/

Thanks Ed. I'm definitely going to check that out. Looks like it could be really useful and a time saver.

I have used tool and die maker stones for over 20 years, in my opinion they have sand paper beat in many ways, they last longer, are much cheaper to use, keep your edges sharp, keep your blades flat, have used them on hollow grinds and gun barrels. You can get hard and soft stons that will ware to fit the shape you are working on, I use them with oil, thin it for finer grits, you can use water but it makes my fingers split. They do make a powered tool for them don't know who makes them. Falcon Tool and Boride are two makers of good stones, what ever grit you stop at you will need to finish by dragging with sharp sandpaper. Works for me. Deane Went to Falcon tool web site, they have the pneumatic tools, they call them u-lap air profilers in three different stroke lengths they are $400.00

Attachments

• IMG_1273 (1).JPG
    IMG_1273 (1).JPG
    157.1 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
I have not used my Central Pneumatic (HF brand) for knives.....but for around $30 it's not a steep priced experiment....

It does 3700 strokes per minute....

Back