Armor piercing 3V Tanto {Build Along}

Benr.t

After finishing up the last tanto, I really wanted to make one that is more of an armor piercer than a slasher. I figured I would snap some pics along the way and share them.

Starting with .290" CPM 3v.

I like to mill in the fullers before I profile the blade. That makes it easier to keep everything lined up and square.

Main fullers milled and blade profiled.

Filing the shoulders square.

First bevel rough ground to 60 grit.

Skip ahead.....I ground it up to 400 grit and then hand sanded the bevels. It is much easier to get any grind lines out before HT. It gets hardened in a SS foil pouch, so It can be very close to finished before HT.

I decided to try something different and mill a tapered fuller in the spine. I think it came out pretty cool.

Laying out the guard while the blade heats up in the kiln. It will be 6al4v Titanium.

The hardening phase of HT was a success, it then received an immediate soak in LN. Nice and frosty. Next up temper cycles.

Looks real good Ben , I have seen a few Japanese nihonto Naginata with a bo-hi ( fuller) on the spine nice touch. I have a huge mill , my only problem is ... not very good with it yet.

I made some swords from 3-V . Did you grind or mill the edge ? I was contemplating using the mill ? Using belts to make swords is tough , even with the good ones .

Want to see what your blade looks like when finished . I may get in touch with you if I decide to mill it . good luck.......... Bubba

Attachments

• CPM-3V Blades 004.JPG
    CPM-3V Blades 004.JPG
    111.1 KB · Views: 18
  • CPM-3V Blades 002.JPG
    CPM-3V Blades 002.JPG
    110 KB · Views: 18
Thanks guys. Having fun so far!

Hey Bubba, I ground in the bevels. I have a PM-45 Mill, so it's not huge. I have considered milling in bevels, but haven't yet. I would need to either buy a tilting table, or make an adjustable jig.

You bet, Guess I will grind them in also . CPM 3 is not real easy to work . I have forged some but, its really tough to forge . I need some more instruction on this mill . These are the biggest blades I have made so far . Kind of been under weather a bit .... feelin better though....

Attachments

• big mill 001.JPG
    big mill 001.JPG
    119.3 KB · Views: 27
  • big mill 002.JPG
    big mill 002.JPG
    113.8 KB · Views: 15
More Progress pics.....

Here the slot is milled in the guard and I am laying out the shape. I like to use a brass rod for marking sometimes, it is more permanent than a sharpie, but doesn't leave deep scratches like a scribe.

Jump ahead and here are all of the fittings. The guard is orange peeled Ti, the spacer is hammered copper, and the menuki are hammered Ti.

Test fit.

Heat coloring the Ti parts.

I was gonna be all cool and give it a dark antique finish, but it turns out it is way too corrosion resistant for my normal methods. So it will be getting a satin finish on the bevels.

Marked on the spine.

Shiny Bevels.

Under wrap complete. I like to use this bamboo fiber cord, it has a nice look, And its eco friendly!! :D

And with the magic of the internet.......all wrapped up!! This style of wrap gets soaked with a wood hardener. It is solid, but leaves a natural look.

I will leave you with this teaser shot until I can take some better pics it in my light tent.

Thanks for the comments guys.

This one is all finished up and I was able to snap some pics. It only bit me once. :)
OAL 14 5/8" with a 9" blade.

Thanks guys! I had fun with it, and have a feeling there are a lot more of this style in my future.

Neat job, did you solder a plate to the tang to keep the guard in place before adding the wrap?

It is a press fit guard, I also epoxy it in place before the wrap goes behind. It is quite solid.

you can tell that baby is sharp too with that green bandage! j/k turned out great

This one bit me on the other hand while taking the pics. Back of the point laid my knuckle open. Its sharp.

Back