Attaching scales to knife

remist17

A newbee question for you all today. Securing knife scales to the tang or liners on folders. I have been pinning all my handles with brass or stainless rod. I am looking to venture into screws. I picked up some 2-56 1/4 flat head screws. I also have a 2-56 tap. Do people just drill and tap the tang and liners on slip joints? I figure the full tang knife blade is straight forward but I'm caught on the friction and slip joint folders that I am making. If anyone can point me in the right direction I would appreciate it.

Usually you will use three screws on each side. Front screw will also be the pivot pin and hold the front in place. Then two more placed in the back of the scales that will hold the scales, liners, and spacer in place. The ones in the back you will eather tap a large spine spacer or buy/ make barrel spacers. Depending on your folder design, you might add more to hold just the scale in place with the liner.

Erik

So basically using pivot barrel and screws all the way back? I was thinking you could tap the spacer metal in slip joint design.

You will use. Barrel pivot in the front but tap the back screws into the spacer you use if it is a friction folder.

Erik

Erik,
Here are some photos I took today for a WIP for my Facebook page. These may help you understand how it's done.
The bolsters are held in place with a 2-56 pivot screw and a 0-80 screw that threads into the liner. The scales are held in place with 0-80 screws that go through the scales and liners and into the spacers.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 38
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 33
I've got a 2-56 tap - it's so tiny I can't even imagine trying to tap one of those 0-80 screws! WOW - I'd need my microscope to even see that tiny thing! My hat's off to you Calvin and all the rest that work with those tiny things.

Ken H>

A newbee question for you all today. Securing knife scales to the tang or liners on folders. I have been pinning all my handles with brass or stainless rod. I am looking to venture into screws. I picked up some 2-56 1/4 flat head screws. I also have a 2-56 tap. Do people just drill and tap the tang and liners on slip joints? I figure the full tang knife blade is straight forward but I'm caught on the friction and slip joint folders that I am making. If anyone can point me in the right direction I would appreciate it.
Screws on a flat tang?(I am not talking about folders!)I see this pretty often, especially on tacticals and if it is not a knife with has service in salt water(where it may necessary for clean up) it is, in my opinion a downside....
they getting loose, especially on blades you can chop with(after time Locktite is giving up too), cause of the tolerance most of the time they do not have clean fit to the tang, or at least it takes some time, a tool and good light source to attach them properly.Limited width of the flat stock limits the depth of the thread and needs compromise in position or screw forms. outdoors means if you loose, its gone!...and so on....
A scale glued, countersunk, pinned and peened a good doomed pin head is hard to beat....since hundreds of years.
...but always : any how he would like to.

I understand more. thank you for taking the time to explain to me.
Barrel pivot on the front (blade) and tap the metal liners/stand offs for the flat head screws.

I also use pins, but im still learning peening art.

Back