Attention damascus makers and Bruce B.

That is just awesome. My uncle does a lot of flint lock repair work and has to forge replacement pieces a lot of the time. I'm sure he will be awed to see this also!

I am sure many of us can benefit in different ways from watching these cool old world craftsman.

I got a real kick out of the forger with the two handed hammer that was puffing on his pipe while forging. Don't see that anymore and he didn't miss a blow on ether one. I can see Bruce Bump forging a barrel for one of his Cut & Shoots.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

The best Video on Utube
My eyes welled up with the final pictures of the abandoned factory. I'd love to look through there. I bet I could get one of those grinding stones home in my luggage. heehee

The best Video on Utube
My eyes welled up with the final pictures of the abandoned factory. I'd love to look through there. I bet I could get one of those grinding stones home in my luggage. heehee

Bruce,
Did you recognize or ever use any of those Damascus patterns? I loved the barrel with the makers name in the Damascus.

I am sure that you couldn't work in that shop anymore because of the European OSHA or what ever they call it there. True craftsman at their finest!
I would love to have those stones line the driveway! If one ever worn out, just roll in another.
LOL.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

The patterns look like they used small square stock to make it up to different designs. Reminds me of how Gerorge Werth used to make names in his damascus.

Did you ever see them fluxing? I think I saw it one time and it was quick. Not powdered flux but liquid and painted on with a brush of some kind.
So interesting.

Last edited:
I wonder where to get super small square rods like that? Its not high carbon steel either as it dont have to hold an edge like we are all used to using.
The patterns look like they used small square stock to make it up to different designs. Reminds me of how Gerorge Werth used to make names in his damascus.

I wonder where to get super small square rods like that?
I've wondered the same thing, maybe we could talk to Aldo about making some available. For bladesmiths who patternweld, 1/8" square 15n20 along with 1084 would be heaven on earth.

I used to be a glutton for punishment. I could find3/16 cold rolled and cut 1095 3/16 down to make checkerboard! I would shove it in a square channel then weld.
That 1/8 w2 looks good.

That is a Bummer. At least I got to see it 5 times.

Ya know something? Gun barrels dont need hi-carbon steels. I'm thinking about mild steel and nickel 200 or 203E
Might be way easier to find in small square stock.

Back