Balisong Kit Input Needed -- Give us your thoughts

BossDog

KnifeDogs.com & USAknifemaker.com Owner
Staff member
We are working on a Balisong kit.

Here is what we know at this point:

Top quality, American made parts machined to +/-.0005 tolerance.

Optional Trainer blade.
Adjustable latch for wear.
At some point, different blade styles but initially one blade style. The blade will be ground, heat treated and nearly sharp. The final sharpening will be left to the customer so they can take it to the finish they want with out trying to work with a razor sharp edge.

We are making it as plain as possible so it can be heavily modified by the owner. We also expect them to be heavily customized and sold by many makers.

We want to do it right so we are looking for any and all suggestions.

I am very much looking forward to this! 2thumbs

When will you have material specs?

as soon as we all agree here, we will have the materials specs..

yes, input on everything...

SWEET!

1lg053scheme.gif

I will give this some thought and get back to ya!

Edit to add: As with most things, people have different opinions on what would be perfect. This will be interesting.

Last edited:
We probably won't agree but we will be able to come up with a better kit design this way than just myself and Travis, the crack machinist...

Hmmmmmmm, I'm thinking CPM 154 and Ti.

Good blade steel and Ti is a great idea, but the cost needs to be reasonable to get these things out the door.

We need Balibalistic in on this.

Last edited:
Blade steel...ATS-34, Blade length...3.75" to 4", blade thickness...3/16", handle...TI, Hardware...TI, adjustable latch.

I'm not a bali maker but if I was I think that's where I would go. Just my 2 cents worth.

Larry

Tracy I used to build a lot of bali's, I can give you one of my designs and all the material details you need if you want it.

Love to have that Les, it will all go into the hopper. We've got some basic ideas but I wanted to get as many suggestions as possible...

Internal stop pins might be better for a kit, I'm ofcoarse partial to CPM154 but if you want to keep the cost down then ATS-34 is the way to go, you can do either ti liners to allow the builder to use different handle materials or you can do solid ti handle slabs but that complicates the internal stop pins (might be a killer for novice builders). Latch or latchless could be determined by the builder.

ikbs017.jpg

I agree with all the above. My 2c is make sure the handles are thick and wide enough to try out IKBS on or to fit a bushing and washers on. 100% agree on the internal stop pins. Although the balisongs are illegal in Oz I would be up for a trainer.

Hey, what a cool idea!! great suggestions from everyone so far.

I would agree about trying to keep cost down. what will set this apart from other kits out there is if you upgrade the pivots to use either bushings or bearings.

I would also go with a cheaper blade steel and mybe stainless handles. if you can keep the cost decent and quality up then you could have a serious seller.

let me know if i can be of any help,tracey. 2guns

The bushing idea is great!

With the bali kits I have worked with the handles were very heavy. They were made that way to be modified. I think that a lighter handle option would be good for those people who don't have grinders or a drill press.

Type: sandwich
Blade style: spearpoint
Blade length:5"
Blade material:19c27
Pivots: 3/16th bushings
Handle Material: 416 SS
Spring Latch
Zen Pins

At this point we are thinking 400series stainless for the handles and probably 154cm or (my favorite) CPM154 for the blade. Our initial plan was to mill the handles as one piece but there is an advantage to having the more typical 4 piece set up also. I think we will end up doing both. I think a typical spear point is up first, but with (optionally) other styles once we get this off the ground.

The handles can still be light and have lot's of potential to be modified.

I saw one discussion the favorite blade length as just over 4".

Nothing is for sure at this other than we are going to get one or more kits made and available.

sandwich or solid handles

What do you like better sandwich or solid handles? Why? My thoughts are the solid is more "solid" and more customizable but is the little extra weight a major issue?

Back