Band Saw Shopping

Well I finally stopped by the local hardware store that stocks the Shop Fox. I really didn't want to get the bottom end same china 3 speed saw, but datgummit, he's only got it marked at $310. That's pretty hard to turn down. $20 cheaper than my local HF sale price.

The subject of bandsaws & blades came up earlier Here are a couple of previous links to discussions of the Iturra's Bandsaw catalog, etc.
https://knifedogs.com/threads/its-nice-to-have-support.51663/page-2#post-411394 (see my last posting regarding the catalog)
and
As I mentioned in these posts, Iturra, in my opinion, is the last word in bandsaws. & blades. This is a family run old-school business - no website presence, they actually talk on the telephone.
While they are generally focused on wood working, they have a lot of knowledge about metal cutting. Their very large catalog they offer for free (if you can get one) is a wealth of information about how to upgrade & tune Delta, Jet & Grizzly saws to perform better.

I paid the $9 shipping and got the catalog. It's fantastic. More of a guide to bandsaw tune ups and operation than a catalog. I love it! Oh...and I got this today as well.

20220426_115042.jpg

Did you see my drool marks on your computer screen? ... that's a sweat machine. What kind of speed control does it use?
Thanks! I still haven't had time to get it on the dolly and fire it up!

From the Grizzly web site...

Delta VFD-M inverter which gives you 3-phase, variable-speed power while operating on standard single-phase power source.

Cut out ten blades just now. Smooth as silk once I got everything adjusted right!
Awesome! What type of blades are you using?

Edit: I'm talking about the bandsaw blade, not the knife blades. :)

Sent from my Champion Forge using Tapatalk

Awesome! What type of blades are you using?

Edit: I'm talking about the bandsaw blade, not the knife blades. :)

Lenox Diemaster 2 Bimetal. Made to order from Blade Serpent. I have a 1/2" and a 1/4". Just used the 1/2" today.

I have one of these, that I paid about $1200 for two years ago. Cuts metal or wood, with variable speed, and a blade change. Huge upgrade from a Portaband saw on a SWAG table. This is a great price.

I was looking on facebook marketplace the other day and came across a Wilton 8201 wood/metal bandsaw. Been wanting one for years. It's the 8 speed model with the gearbox and clutch with speeds from 39 - 3000 sfpm. It's in excellent condition and I was able to get it for $400. Came with three 18 tpi blades (two of them new in box) and the factory manual. Best deal I ever found on marketplace. Just needed a little cleaning and it looks practically new.

20220504_182004.jpg20220504_182120.jpg20220504_182229.jpg

I was looking on facebook marketplace the other day and came across a Wilton 8201 wood/metal bandsaw. Been wanting one for years. It's the 8 speed model with the gearbox and clutch with speeds from 39 - 3000 sfpm. It's in excellent condition and I was able to get it for $400. Came with three 18 tpi blades (two of them new in box) and the factory manual. Best deal I ever found on marketplace. Just needed a little cleaning and it looks practically new.

View attachment 80813View attachment 80814View attachment 80815

That is a fantastic deal and a great looking saw!

Just found one on eBay for $2300...I think you did good!

This Jet model looks to be the exact same saw and is currently available new...for $2869 plus $225 shipping.

Last edited:

View attachment 80813View attachment 80814View attachment 80815
Definitely a screaming deal. Well done!

Do yourself a favor an buy some M42 blades for metal and you NEED TO try out some 3, 4, or 6 TPI hook tooth blades for wood. Super fast cutting. Great for roughing wood stock down to size. In my experience, if you put the wood on a sacrificial board while you cut, it eleminates chipout/blowout on the bottom of the work piece. Soooo much faster than a raker tooth blade.

Definitely a screaming deal. Well done!

Do yourself a favor an buy some M42 blades for metal and you NEED TO try out some 3, 4, or 6 TPI hook tooth blades for wood. Super fast cutting. Great for roughing wood stock down to size. In my experience, if you put the wood on a sacrificial board while you cut, it eleminates chipout/blowout on the bottom of the work piece. Soooo much faster than a raker tooth blade.

Yeah I'm gonna order some 14-18 TPI 1/4" and 3/8" M42 blades from LA Cutting Products to try out for metal. I got this saw strictly for metal cutting. I have a 14" Grizzly with a 4 TPI HT and 17" with a 3 TPI HT resaw blade for wood.

Screenshot_20220513-160230_Gallery.jpg

Yeah I'm gonna order some 14-18 TPI 1/4" and 3/8" M42 blades from LA Cutting Products to try out for metal. I got this saw strictly for metal cutting. I have a 14" Grizzly with a 4 TPI HT and 17" with a 3 TPI HT resaw blade for wood.

View attachment 80817
Gotcha. You might want to try a 8-12 or a 10-14 TPI blade, too. My default blade is a 1/2" 10-14. I rarely change blades. I'll use a 10-14 on anything from sheet metal up to 1" and bigger solid bar stock. Feed rate is the key and fewer teeth means you can get away with less feed pressure.

That said, I work with a lot of 3/8" plate, 1/2" plate, cutting all thread, stuff like that.

Now get off the forums and go sweep the shop! :D

Edit: I'm assuming the planer is just of of frame to the left in that last picture?

I have 13" planer and set it up outside when I plane stuff and just blow all the shavings into the woods.

Gotcha. You might want to try a 8-12 or a 10-14 TPI blade, too. My default blade is a 1/2" 10-14. I rarely change blades. I'll use a 10-14 on anything from sheet metal up to 1" and bigger solid bar stock. Feed rate is the key and fewer teeth means you can get away with less feed pressure.

That said, I work with a lot of 3/8" plate, 1/2" plate, cutting all thread, stuff like that.

Now get off the forums and go sweep the shop! :D

Edit: I'm assuming the planer is just of of frame to the left in that last picture?

I have 13" planer and set it up outside when I plane stuff and just blow all the shavings into the woods.

My mistake, 10-14 is what I meant to say. I've always used 18 TPI on my portaband blades back when I was a pipe fitter/welder so thats what I've always stuck with. After I got this bandsaw I was searching YouTube videos and came across a knife maker with the same model Jet who recommended the 10-14 TPI blades so figured I'd give them a try.

Good eye on the planer. Actually the planer has a hose connected to a bag beneath it where most of the chips go. Unfortunately I over filled it multiple times on this job and threw it all over the floor when trying to empty it. lol

Screenshot_20220513-162552_Gallery.jpg

The floor is a mess in the other pic because of the jointer which throws chips EVERYWHERE. I was working on an ambrosia maple dining table which is why the shop was a mess. That was a couple months back though.

Back