Bandsaw blades

Walt2

I would like to know where the makers who use 641/2" bandsaws get your blades. I have been getting them from a local supplier and have been having problems with them breaking in the splice. It appears that whoever is making them is ruining the temper in the splice area. The blade material is supposed to be Lennox. Thanks for any info.

Atwoods carries an olsen blade that is good. i get the same one from a tool discount store and have been using them for the last 15 years. BI-METAL 64 1/2 RUN ABOUT $19.00

I have been using Olson blades bought at a local farm supply store, 12.99 each and can cut 10+ blades out of one. A tip on these saws, run at the slowest blade speed that it has, and don't try to make curve cuts, and use a fine tooth blade like 14TPI. I have even used the Harbor Freight blades with prety good results, but they are unpredictable, one will last good and the next one won't.

I've used mostly Millwaulke, they are good blades but kind of expensive. I bought some at a local hardware store recently( They make them up there.) and they are as good as the Milwaulke and they were only $5.00 each. I recently bought some Morse blades that were on sale at MSC, $4.70 each and I am testing one currently. I bought some Starret blades once and they didn't last very long at all. I always ust cutting oil when cutting tool steel and this makes the blades last much longer.

Thanks for the replies. I have been returning the blades as defective and they send them to be rewelded. Most of the blades that break, if it does not do it at first, developes a "thump" as the splice area goes throught the cut. Many times this is due to a tooth that was missing at the very beginning or breaks off shortly after starting to use it.

I use the bimetal blades from Grizzly. They are not the best, but they work pretty well for the price. When you're cutting 6-4 titanium and lots of 3V, M4, A11 etc I like the price/performance point of the cheaper blades.

Back