Beginner Question Blade coating removal

M

MTHall53

I have no clue what I'm doing, but was wondering if there is a relatively simple, yet effective way, to remove the black coating on the following blades:

Ontario RD 9

Becker BK 7

SOG Jungle Primitive

I like these blades, but they only come in black. Don't want to mess them up like I did last time by using multiple grits and simply sanding off coatings.

Thanks VERY much for all advice.

I'm not fully sure of the exact coatings that each of those blades have, but I am pretty sure that to remove the coating is going to require sanding. That would mean starting with the finest grit that will do the job,(likely 320 or 400 grit) then once all the coating is removed, finishing by hand sanding with progressively finer grits until the desire finish is achieved. It's not a quick, nor easy process, and it takes a lot of "elbow grease".

Use something hard and flat (that dosen't flex a lot) as a sanding stick. Cut your sandpaper into strips approx. 1 1/2" wide, and tightly wrap it around your sanding stick. Lock the knife handle into a vise (or clamp it to a table/bench) with the blade horizontal (flats up and down) and sand lengthwise with the blade. By wrapping the paper around you can easily tear a piece off as is wears out, and have a fresh piece ready to go. NOTE: Use only top quality sandpaper (preferably wet/dry in either aluminum oxide of Silicon Carbide grit). If you need a place to buy good quality paper, most NAPA auto parts store carry a good selection of quality wet/dry sandpaper. Although it's not the best, it will work for what your doing.

Many knifemakers are really picky about the sandpaper they use, and I'm no exception...I personally like Norton Black Ice or Klingspoor brands sandpaper.

Paint stripper works wonders....just dont wear flip flops...I got some on my toes and felt like they caught fire:eek: I just used the spray on stuff. I had success with it on a couple Busse blades and my old DogFather. Just wear thick rubber gloves with an old rag and it will fall off after about 10-15 min.

Have fun and post some pics when you get them stripped.

Chris

Thanks very much. Any ideas as to top quality sandpaper sources online? I used a palm sander last time I tried this but the results weren't what I had hoped for.

Thanks Chris!! Sounds great! Any particular brand recommended?
Just spray it on, and then wipe or wash off??
I like the sound of a good two step process with this being the first, and then perhaps a succession of finer grit sand paper. Don't know if I should use my palm sander, or just the hand sanding with a sanding block like recommended by Ed
I will most likely do the SOG first as my test knife since this is the least expensive knife I want to work on.

I just used the Klean-Strip Premium stripper. It comes in an 18OZ can

Yes, just spray it on and let it sit for 10-15min in an aluminum drywall pan or similar container, DO NOT USE PLASTIC:unsure: Then just hand sand to the finish you desire. Take Ed's advice....he knows what he is doing!!! Make sure and tape off the handles or better yet remove the scales completely. This stuff is evil, so do it outside and protect your hands/feet/lungs. Make sure if you have pups or young ones around , keep an eye on them and make sure they stay away from this stuff.

Have fun and we look forward to seeing your freshly stripped blades2thumbs

As stated above, get in touch with Tracy here on the forum, he will line you up!

Chris

Thanks Chris!! Sounds great! Any particular brand recommended?
Just spray it on, and then wipe or wash off??
I like the sound of a good two step process with this being the first, and then perhaps a succession of finer grit sand paper. Don't know if I should use my palm sander, or just the hand sanding with a sanding block like recommended by Ed
I will most likely do the SOG first as my test knife since this is the least expensive knife I want to work on.

I just took a buffer wheel to my Scarab with some rubbing compound and it came right off with almost no effect on the steel. I will post pictures later when I get home.

Back