Belt Tracking Help Please!!

Surthriver

So in using my grinder, the belt will not stay straight on the platen and creeps to the right or the left whenever I put pressure on it. I have a old 4x36 and the drive wheel is not crowned. Does anyone know how I could fix this problem and keep the belting from moving while I'm grinding? I'm having a problem getting decent plunge lines because of it. Thanks!!

Ok. Thanks for the ideas. I'll try the tape today. As for tightening the belt, I don't know if I can because the lever that tightens the belt, is as tight as it will go. Any ideas?

If the two other suggestions don't fix it? Look at the brand of belts you are using?
Buy decent quality belts from 3m, Norton, Hermes sand the like. No belts from china.

Some belts stretch unevenly. Switch a belt around so it runs in the opposite direction if it is all over the place. This works often enough to try it but doesn't work every time.

It seems that I get a few belts in every order that want to walk from side to side even buying high quality belts. I will try flipping them and see if it helps. Thanks Tracy.

I'm having the same problem with a 1x30 hf. my plunge lines are different angles, one side is at like a 45 degree angle the other side is almost a 90 degree angle, and they don't line up from side to side. nothing I have tried solves the problem.

I modified my 4 X 36 with a piece of 4"x4" ceramic tile as a raised platen. This improved things in several ways. The piece of tile is quite smooth and so the grinding is smoother and cooler. Secondly it tightens up the belt enough that I get a lot less travel. I still get some and on occasion I will get a belt that simply won't behave. Nevertheless it's much improved.

And finally it has improved my grinds dramatically.

There was a thread on the tile mod a while back but I can't find it. If I do I'll post a link.

Back