Best quality chamfer bits to use ?

steelerfan88

I am needing to get away from using the el'cheapo "chatter-matic" bits I get at my local hardware store. Who makes a really good, chatter free chamfer bit ? I am needing it to chamfer my 5/16" lanyard thongs.

Why does a zero flute or single flute cut/work better ? I do not understand why this is but am sure your advice carries weight.....I'll check them out :)

Why does a zero flute or single flute cut/work better ? I do not understand why this is but am sure your advice carries weight.....I'll check them out :)

You don't really want to know. I think it's all related to the way 2-flute drills have a tendency to drill somewhat triangular holes. I can vaguely remember covering it at college 30-odd years ago and the math was horrible.

The fluteless ones that look like they have a hole drilled through them instead of flutes seem to work best for me in terms of chatter, though cutting speed is low compared to a fluted cutter. Over here, they are often described as deburring cutters, presumably because they are so slow at actual countersinking.

Even the cheap ones should be an improvement for most (non-stainless steel) lanyard tube materials.

Back