Best Tek Lok Source

Chris Martin

Just wondering where the best/cheapest place to order Tek Lok's from. Small-Large

I am looking at building Tracy's press and would like to get several diff. sizes TL's.

Thanks!

Chris

In my experience either buying direct from Blade Tech, OR Knifekits.com. I'm not sure, but I believe that Blade Tech will want you to become a distributor to get the best prices....and next in line is KnifeKits.com as far as I can find.

I've only ever seen two sizes available.. Large and Small. When I build customized EBKs I always use the small size for those, the Large once work will for full sized knives.

ETA: Found a "Mini" for about $6....belt loop size up to1.5"

Hey there Ed,

Yeah, Knifekits is the only place I can seem to find them for sale. Expensive little pieces of Poly them Tek Lok's...lol Your right, only sm/large. I thought about just using the belt loops for my first attempts...but I just like having/giving different carry options.

Once I get decent at this knifemaking thing...I plan on making a lot of choppers, so the large TL will come in handy. But for now...the small will work since I am only attempting small skinners etc for the uncles2thumbs

In my experience either buying direct from Blade Tech, OR Knifekits.com. I'm not sure, but I believe that Blade Tech will want you to become a distributor to get the best prices....and next in line is KnifeKits.com as far as I can find.

I've only ever seen two sizes available.. Large and Small. When I build customized EBKs I always use the small size for those, the Large once work will for full sized knives.

Last edited:
Chris,

For my standard EBKs, I actually built my own belt loops out of the same kydex that I use for the sheaths. The reason I only put Tek-Loks on the higher end versions is the cost.....I simply can't afford to put a Tek-Lok on a standard EBK and keep it at the same price.

Speaking strictly from a maker's perspective, sometime you want to be careful about offer too many choices! In some cases it can confuse a potential customer just enough to make them look else where.

I can see your point Ed!! I will keep it simple, for personal options I will mount a Tek Lok. I am a loooong way away from selling my knives.....:D Dont have to worry about running anyone off just yet. But I will deff. keep your point in mind...maybe put Tek Lok as an option + Cost!

What about drilling holes in the sheath to allow the belt loop to be mounted/canted?

Chris,

For my standard EBKs, I actually built my own belt loops out of the same kydex that I use for the sheaths. The reason I only put Tek-Loks on the higher end versions is the cost.....I simply can't afford to put a Tek-Lok on a standard EBK and keep it at the same price.

Speaking strictly from a maker's perspective, sometime you want to be careful about offer too many choices! In some cases it can confuse a potential customer just enough to make them look else where.

When I build the belt loops, they are attached with the black steel or aluminum Chicago screws, using a #8 drill bit. I usually just drill the holes "by eye", and the loops is mounted that way....no room for adjustment.

The Tek-Loks are nice in that they have 9 holes in them, all spaced evenly, so that a person can place the Tek-Lok on the sheath for just about any carry position they like. Because folks will often move a Tek-Lok around until they figure out where they like it, I usually drill the holes for the Tek-Loks with a 1/4" bit, line the holes with kydex eyelets, and then mount the Tek-Lok screws through the eyelets....that way its more difficult for things to get messed up from folks taking things apart and putting them back together.

I will give that a shot Ed! I look forward to making my first kydex sheath here soon.

I also thought about buying a small TL since I have a large. And using the TL's drill and insert eyelets after lining up the Tek Lok so whom ever gets the sheath can always mount there own if thats there choice. Would you happen to know if both sm/lg mounting holes line up evenly?

Nope! The different sizes of Tek-Loks both have 9 holes each, but because of the physical difference in size, the holes on one do not line up with the other.

The large TeK-Loc holes are spaced at 3/4", and the Small model holes are spaced at 1/2".

Boker now makes a similar clip. It's a buck or to cheaper. Not sure who carries them though. Maybe the BossDog Mr Tracy Mickley can hook you up! He's got just about everything we need!!2thumbs

Gotcha Ed. Thanks for the info bud. I just look forward to making some kydex for my blades....I will stop making it so hard and just start playing around with it.2thumbs

Chris

Nope! The different sizes of Tek-Loks both have 9 holes each, but because of the physical difference in size, the holes on one do not line up with the other.

The large TeK-Loc holes are spaced at 3/4", and the Small model holes are spaced at 1/2".

Stabba Dabba, I saw one of those for like $6 during my recent search. Might pick one up for the hell of it.

Boker now makes a similar clip. It's a buck or to cheaper. Not sure who carries them though. Maybe the BossDog Mr Tracy Mickley can hook you up! He's got just about everything we need!!2thumbs

I tried to get some of the Boker Clips a while back, after getting jerked around for like a month, I canceled the order and bought from Blade Tec.

A month after that, they tried to ship me the Boker clips and charge me for expedited shipping! :(

We decided together that it would be unwise for that to go further.... ;)

In the future I will just buy from the source, until Tracy gets them, that is. :D

Les,

Thats terrible business buddy. Sorry to hear that. Good thing is I dont need to place large orders and can just grab a couple at a time for experimenting purposes only.

I hope we get a supplier here on the forum! I like keeping my money in the family2thumbs

Back