Blurred vision

Chris Railey

Woke up today with blurred vision in my right eye. As the day went on it got worse so I went to eye doctor. In short, she dug a shard of steel out of my eye then she used a dremmel tool to remove the rust from my cornea. I always wear glasses in the shop too. I now have a headache. The doctor was good looking so that was a plus.

Damn a dermmel tool. The 2 times it happen to me they always just scraped my eyeball with needle. Anyway hopefully you should be good by tomorrow.

Good to hear it turned out OK. Never fun to get something in the eye. And a Dremel tool! There's a certain irony there....pun intended :D

Hey Chris I had the same exact thing happen but sadly they couldn’t get all the rust out in one visit so I had to come back on three separate occasions to have I taken out piece by piece with the stupid eyeball dremel

I got shrapnel in an eye and they put some aesthetic drops in the eye and I watched him cut the bits out with a fine scalpel. A bit disconcerting to feel the light pressure on the eye and knowing he was cutting but there was no after effects although I did have to keep it covered for a couple of days.

Woke up today with blurred vision in my right eye. As the day went on it got worse so I went to eye doctor. In short, she dug a shard of steel out of my eye then she used a dremmel tool to remove the rust from my cornea. I always wear glasses in the shop too. I now have a headache. The doctor was good looking so that was a plus.

Had that happen to me deburring a Small Block Chevy motor. I did get the shard out but, my eye was beat red and watering non-stop! Went to ER and was told I needed an Eye Surgeon. I get to the Eye Surgon, he tells me he has to "Buff my Eye!!" Well being a car guy you can imagine what went thru my head!! Well glad everything worked out for you!

Been there, done that. The doctor told me “don’t move” while she dremeled my eyeball. All I could say was “You think?!!”

Glad you’re okay!

Woke up today with blurred vision in my right eye. As the day went on it got worse so I went to eye doctor. In short, she dug a shard of steel out of my eye then she used a dremmel tool to remove the rust from my cornea. I always wear glasses in the shop too. I now have a headache. The doctor was good looking so that was a plu

Good to hear your OK as you only have one pair of eyes.

Oh and out of interest where about's is the 'good looking' doctors practice just in case I get a shard in my eye or need my prostate checking? :):):)

Prayers for full/complete healing Chris!! I've had similar, and it ain't no fun! Seems no matter how attentive we are to PPE/Safety gear.....something always slips by. Hey..... keep the forums informed on symptoms....that is IF you have any. That way your experience might help someone else notice a warning sign they might otherwise ignore. ;)

Prayers for full/complete healing Chris!! I've had similar, and it ain't no fun! Seems no matter how attentive we are to PPE/Safety gear.....something always slips by. Hey..... keep the forums informed on symptoms....that is IF you have any. That way your experience might help someone else notice a warning sign they might otherwise ignore. ;)
Good idea Ed. The only real symptom I had was on Saturday night when I tried to go to sleep I noticed my eye would hurt every time I closed it. So much so that I could not sleep. Finally about 0300 I just fell asleep and when I woke up Sunday morning it felt better. All was well until the blurred vision started on Monday. By Wednesday I had enough and went to the eye surgeon.

I am new to knife making but have worked industrial construction for a couple of decades. As a Project Manager I am always looking for ways to eliminate injuries and the impact they have on a persons well being. One of the most frequent first aid incidents we have at construction sites is "object in eye" and forging and grinding knives puts every knife maker at risk of this constantly. Here are a few pointers that can help minimize injuries:
1. Always wear eye protection - Most eye injuries occur when NO eye protection is worn. Wear safety glasses at a minimum. Goggles and a faceshield will help a lot but can restrict your vision causing other hazards.
2. Keep an eye flush kit around - If you feel any eye irritation at all, flush your eyes until the irritation is gone then flush that amount again. Do not rub your eyes!! This causes scratches which can be permanent. If the irritation persists, get medical help.
3. If you get objects in your eyes frequently, you need to change your eye protection style. Not every face is made alike.
4. If you do have to go to the doctor to get an object removed from your eye, do not perform any tasks which could cause anything else to get in your eyes for 48 hours. The doc will most likely numb your eyes and you will not be able to feel metal in it. This is really bad!

I am new to knife making but have worked industrial construction for a couple of decades. As a Project Manager I am always looking for ways to eliminate injuries and the impact they have on a persons well being. One of the most frequent first aid incidents we have at construction sites is "object in eye" and forging and grinding knives puts every knife maker at risk of this constantly. Here are a few pointers that can help minimize injuries:
1. Always wear eye protection - Most eye injuries occur when NO eye protection is worn. Wear safety glasses at a minimum. Goggles and a faceshield will help a lot but can restrict your vision causing other hazards.
2. Keep an eye flush kit around - If you feel any eye irritation at all, flush your eyes until the irritation is gone then flush that amount again. Do not rub your eyes!! This causes scratches which can be permanent. If the irritation persists, get medical help.
3. If you get objects in your eyes frequently, you need to change your eye protection style. Not every face is made alike.
4. If you do have to go to the doctor to get an object removed from your eye, do not perform any tasks which could cause anything else to get in your eyes for 48 hours. The doc will most likely numb your eyes and you will not be able to feel metal in it. This is really bad!

I have another tip to add to yours.

We were always taught and this might sound odd.

If you are a witness to an eye injury and render first aid to the injured person, if the eyes injury is bad, lightly cover with sterile gauze and secure,then cover the uninjured eye, so both eyes are covered.
This ensures the injured eye will remain stationary as your eyes move as a pair and the last thing you want is for a casualty with a bad eyke injury looking around with the good eye as the injured eye will follow and possibly worsen.

This is the part where you are all closing one eye and looking around.....told you it works ;)

Last edited:
Back