bog oak

jspake

hi guys, i'm hoping you can help me find a source for bog oak knife blocks. the only place i am finding bog oak for sale is ebay, and only one auction at the moment. that doesn't seem right. i am making a knife for a friend and she's convinced she wants the handle to be bog oak. can anyone help point me in the direction of a supplier? i know i have seen examples on people on these boards using it before (raymond richard, others?) so maybe i'm not searching in vain.

thanks!

-jeremy

hi guys, i'm hoping you can help me find a source for bog oak knife blocks. the only place i am finding bog oak for sale is ebay, and only one auction at the moment. that doesn't seem right.

-jeremy

The scarcity of it seems right to me, Jeremy.
If you really need it, and it's truly bog oak (lots of shysters out there trying to "make" some bog oak), then I would strongly consider bidding on the auction.

I went on a quest to find some Bog Oak several years ago to make a few traditional Sigian Duhbs a few years ago. It is very difficult to find in any meaningful size. It is considered by many in the UK a part of their national heritage and there is a large reluctance to ship it out of the UK. Expect it to be expensive. Really expensive. I've managed to pull together a few pieces (not selling it- thanks for asking tho). It is very dark and very porous. When you cut the stuff, it throws sparks from all the minerals in it and eats a blade right quick. There are way better woods (almost any in fact) to work with unless you are working on a fully traditional Scottish high land knife or sword and then it really does call for true bog oak.
You might start googling up artists in the UK that work with the stuff. You may be able to work out something but expect to get turned down a lot.

I've got a few blocks of the stuff, all from eBay, bought over time. The interesting thing to me
is the source: two are Irish , two Appalachian and one Russian. The Appalachian pair are estimated
at about 10,000 years old.

I've never heard of Appalachian. I am going to have look around a bit.

thanks for all the feedback. i may bid on the ebay auction, but since there is no buy it now option, who knows how high it will go. i found a seller in the UK, but shipping alone will be about $30. maybe that will work. -if she wants to spend the money on sentiment (family heritage), why not. if not, i could maybe use wenge or african blackwood instead for a similar look.

dan, i'm curious if you have noticed much difference in appearance among the different "types" of bog wood.

if anyone wants to get shed of one of those cumbersome blocks i'll be glad to help you lose one or two. (had to say it).

thanks again!

-jeremy

How you resolve it will depend much on the type of relationship you have with the other individual.
A possible way to approach it is to ask the person how much they are willing to spend. In other words, try to determine if their expectations are in line with the financial realities.
Many times people are familiar with something due to a former presence, yet have no idea how limited availability directly impacts cost.

Sometimes you may even have to get the other person involved in the material search.

This isn't knife related, but here's an example to show what I'm attempting to convey:
A lady called me up and asked if I could "fix" her nightstand. This was a gift that her father had made for her over forty years ago. After her husband recently passed away, she moved into one of those "retirement" apartments.
The movers had busted the apron on the nightstand, and one of the legs was split.
So I go over there to take a look, and immediately lose my breath when I see it. I nearly fell over right there!
The entire piece of furniture was constructed of solid Brazilian Rosewood! No veneer; it was the real deal.
My mind started racing. Where was I going to get that much of that type of wood?

So here's a nonverbatim rehash of the conversation:
Me: "I'm not too sure about this. This type of wood is going to be pretty hard to come by, and if we can even get it, it's gonna cost dearly."
Her: "Really? Now you sound like the guy I take my car to."
Me: "Do you know what type of wood this is?"
Her: "Of course. It's Brazilian Rosewood. Can you fix it or not?"
Me: "I don't want to fix it, but yes, it can be fixed. Fixing it isn't the problem. Getting the wood is, though."
Her: "I don't understand how that can be a problem. My father always had a bunch of this in his shop. When he got too old to work anymore, he sold everything off to a guy he taught."
Me: "And is this other guy still around? Do you think he still has any of it? If I buy this at today's prices, it's probably going to cost well over $200 for two little pieces of wood. That's if we can find it."
Her: "I'll call him right now."

So enough of the conversation.
To make a long story short, this lady's father had been a luthier, and he had been deceased for nearly thirty years. This was long before CITES was even thought of.
I knew very little about her father's trade, but apparently that type of wood was (and still is) highly coveted for its "musical" qualities. So with her growing up around it, the wood was sort of a regular occurrence to her.
She appreciated the beauty of the wood, but since she had never really taken an interest in any of her fathers doings (she was a retired math teacher!), she did not fully comprehend the situation as it applies to today's circumstances.
To her, the nightstand had always been an object of high sentimental value, not financial value.

Yes, the other guy still had some of the wood from her father, and I contacted a furniture maker to do the repair. Everyone ended up being happy, except for the moving company that had to pay for it all.

So you may be facing a similar situation here. Maybe your client has some sort of particular reason that she simply has to have that bog oak.
Most people appreciate the rare stuff, and that's usually why they want it. But in my scenario above, the lady didn't even have a clue!

If you can, try to get an idea why she wants it (without appearing too invasive, of course).
Maybe she will settle for a substitute, maybe not. But only then will you get a sense of direction for the project.

Good Luck,
Rob

As a highjack what is so great about bog oak? I read up on it but have never seen it in person. From the pictures I have seen bog oak looks like oak heartwood when it has been on a fence line (stained black by the tannic acid and metal fencing)

Brad

IMHO, the reasons to use bog oak are cultural, sentimental, historical or maybe religious. I suspect
that the traditional Scottish and Irish use was because they had it around.

If all I cared about was an attractive black wood I'd use some of the African Blackwood I have.

my customer is a scottish born american who really liked the idea of bog oak for cultural reasons. interestingly, the wood i have sourced comes from either the british isles, or russia, so i'll have to see how much of a stickler she is if she wants to stick to this idea of using bog oak. i plan to talk to her tomorrow about the cost implications and see if she's still interested.

thanks for the brazilian rosewood story. that is rather timely, as i am about to start another knife that is a retirement gift for the owner of the guitar store where i worked in high school and into college. i'm using spruce and brazilian rosewood, just like the old martin d-28s that seemed to be everyone's holy grail.

There is a guy at britishblades that regularly has some.... goes by the name 'pikebite', and had some a month or two ago that was stabilized, I almost bought some but funds were scarce....

I would like to use some simply because it is traditional.

I don't know anything about bog oak, but in general I highly recommend checking out luthiery sites when looking for nice wood. Guitar and violin makers prize the same qualities we do, durability, stability and of course beauty. Sometimes you can find neck blanks of highly figured maple, mahogany, koa, etc that would be worth 5 or 10 times their cost if cut up into knife blocks and scales.

Bog oak is not only traditional, it takes thousands of years to mineralize, so a piece of bog oak harvested from native British soil has probably seen a a century or 2 as a live tree, and many more as it mineralized in the ground, making it literally a piece of British history. Small wonder some are sentimental about it and may not be open to substitutes.

i ordered 2 knife block pieces at about $26 apiece, plus shipping from UK. not too bad, and customer agreed to pay the added cost. i'm looking forward to trying it out.

Glad to hear you got it sorted out. Sounds like you did OK on price, too. Guess it really does help to sometimes cross the fence, or in this case, the pond.:35:
Best of luck on the project, and let us know how it turns out for you.

You're welcome for the rosewood story.
Since I don't sell many of my knives, it was the only experience I had which might help to visualize the concept of dealing with "customer quirks".
So I'm glad it helped.
Going back to that, the lady's nightstand really was a beautiful work of art in my opinion. I suppose her father really did the project on the basis of creating an heirloom to be treasured by his daughter.
I just had no idea that that particular wood also had a practical value for his trade, which helps explain the increased demand for it. Until that point, I was mostly under the impression that people wanted it simply because it was a nice wood that was difficult to obtain.

Seems like more and more of our most prized materials are slowly heading this direction.

Anyone wanna part with some ivory? (Kidding!)

Once again, best of luck on your upcoming project!

Rob

I just saw this thread. As for the bog oak I have and have used a little of its really not nothing special. Its pretty amazing to use some wood that is so old but there's nothing attractive about it. The piece I have is dark gray when finished. It looks much better in its natural state but you lose all that once you start shaping the handle. I'd prefer it to be either charcoal gray or black in color.

thanks for the info ray. i'm a big fan of your work. from the pics i saw of your bog oak knives, i thought it looked pretty nice. anyway, i'm also in the portland area -i would love to sneak out and visit your shop and see your work in person some time.

obviously, i'll let you guys know what my bog oak looks like when i get it, and what it looks like when the knife is done.

Back