Bone Handle Color?

LarryE

I'm new to knife making and to the forum also. My first question is about a bone handle. I bought some buffalo bone scales and would like to know how to dye them where they look like ivory. It can be old ivory or new ivory just something other than the white.

Next, I bought a lock blade folder from a dealer at a gun show that said it was a production over run for a knife maker. It is complete except for the handle. My question is about the pins that go through the handle. It has a place for a thong and I will use that. I ordered tubing and 1/16" stainless steel rods for the pins. At the back of the handle where the thong hole is, there is two pins that have been pressed in to hold the parts together. When I'm ready to put my handles on, do I just drill through the pins that are there now and put the new pins in? All lock blades that I've seen with a thong hole have the pins on either side of the hole. Thanks everyone. Looking forward to learning a lot about knives. Larry

Hi Larry. Welcome to the forums. Some questions are just not that easy to answer. I sugest you go to the stickies and read them through there is lots of help there. Frank

Hi Larry, Welcome to these forums and to knifemaking. Maybe you could post a picture of the areas in question that might help others better understand your problem(s). Dan

Hi Larry,
By the looks of the picture you will just need to grind the mushroomed pins flush and drive them out with the proper sized pin punch. There will be a spring to compress when re-installing new pins.

The white bone handle will accept some leather dye. try a small area on the back side first.

Back