Bought a surface grinder

Daniel, perhaps this is obvious, unless you've got 3 phase electric service in your shop, you'll need to 1) convert
Here’s a video. It’s actually what I believe is a 618 techmaster I kept saying 818. Lol. If there’s anything you guys want a better look at just let me know.

I saw on the electrical panel that the grinder appears to need 480 volt service, I'm guessing that will be 3 phase. You may want to take a hard look at whether your existing electric service can handle that machine.

Daniel, perhaps this is obvious, unless you've got 3 phase electric service in your shop, you'll need to 1) convert

I saw on the electrical panel that the grinder appears to need 480 volt service, I'm guessing that will be 3 phase. You may want to take a hard look at whether your existing electric service can handle that machine.
Yessir. I have checked it out and I will be able to switch enough stuff around to step it down to 230 and then I will get a phase converter. It will take a little bit but it will eventually be able to run on my shop power.

How old are you again Daniel? You are way ahead of me in my younger years in all categories.
22. Haha. I don’t know about that but I do appreciate it sir.

What’s super nice is that they gave you a keypad for the PLC control. You will be able to change timers and setpoints without having to buy very expensive PLC logic software. Hopefully there’s a book or a reference table to tell you which bits you’re looking for. Then again, you may never need to give a hoot about any of that if it runs the way you want it to already.
I thought that’s what that was but I wasn’t positive I joked with a buddy the other day that the cool keypad was definitely worth what I paid for it jokingly and looking into it I might not be far off. LOL One of the nice things about this machine is it came with all the original paperwork and wiring diagrams so with enough research I should be able to eventually piece it together. I don’t see anything immediately wrong with anything that was removed but need to do some further checking into it.

I thought that’s what that was but I wasn’t positive I joked with a buddy the other day that the cool keypad was definitely worth what I paid for it jokingly and looking into it I might not be far off. LOL One of the nice things about this machine is it came with all the original paperwork and wiring diagrams so with enough research I should be able to eventually piece it together. I don’t see anything immediately wrong with anything that was removed but need to do some further checking into it.
As an old geezer, I am in awe of your ability and confidence in tackling this project at your age. Kudos for your enthusiasm!

It looks to be excellently maintained. The one thing I would do before putting power to it is to get a screwdriver and go through the electrical panel. Give every single wire a gentle wiggle/tug at the screw terminal. Any terminal that moves even slightly needs to be tightened. Every electrical terminal loosens over time and the vibration from transporting a machine only adds to that. It’s a very good idea to do this once a year on machines that get daily use. Be sure to check the ones on the PLC cards, too.

Loose connections will have you chasing your tail with intermittent problems and replacing expensive parts that aren’t bad.

You may already know all this because you sound savvy to me, so I apologize if you do. Just wanted to put it out there for anyone who might be new to machine controls.

As an old geezer, I am in awe of your ability and confidence in tackling this project at your age. Kudos for your enthusiasm!
Shoot I appreciate it but y’all’s confidence is misplaced in me. I’m just young enough dumb enough and stubborn enough to think I can do this all. :D I enjoy doing a lot of research on this sort of thing so given enough time I can generally work through problems but it will definitely be a learning experience.
It looks to be excellently maintained. The one thing I would do before putting power to it is to get a screwdriver and go through the electrical panel. Give every single wire a gentle wiggle/tug at the screw terminal. Any terminal that moves even slightly needs to be tightened. Every electrical terminal loosens over time and the vibration from transporting a machine only adds to that. It’s a very good idea to do this once a year on machines that get daily use. Be sure to check the ones on the PLC cards, too.

Loose connections will have you chasing your tail with intermittent problems and replacing expensive parts that aren’t bad.

You may already know all this because you sound savvy to me, so I apologize if you do. Just wanted to put it out there for anyone who might be new to machine controls.
Yes sir. It will absolutely be gone through with a fine tooth comb before it ever touches electricity. And absolutely no apology needed. I’m just faking it till I make it.

Amazing how little excitement people show when you tell them that the cool new machine you bought just makes things really flat. :D
I fully appreciate that comment. The wife just can't understand my excitement getting some of the tools (toys?) I do get. Of course, her and her sister get excited over the dumbest things like shoes, etc. Heck, a shoe is a shoe - does anybody ever actually "look" at the shoes you're wearing?

Any idea of the amps required at the 230 vac 3 ph you mentioned?

Oh, before I forget - WOW - that thing is amazing! I wish you lived next door :)

I fully appreciate that comment. The wife just can't understand my excitement getting some of the tools (toys?) I do get. Of course, her and her sister get excited over the dumbest things like shoes, etc. Heck, a shoe is a shoe - does anybody ever actually "look" at the shoes you're wearing?

Any idea of the amps required at the 230 vac 3 ph you mentioned?

Oh, before I forget - WOW - that thing is amazing! I wish you lived next door :)
I’ll have to double check when I get to the shop. I checked and I forgot what I came up with. And thanks.

Daniel, have you got this beast running yet? I bought a B&S 612 and it was 480 volt as well. I ended up putting a KBAC27 VFD on it and with some serious wiring help/advise from the guys on Practical Machinist, she is running like a charm. One thing I will advise you to check when it is up and running, is to pop all the covers off and check the oilers. Mine has a Bijur automatic oiling system on it and some of the injectors were plugged up from the machine sitting around idle. Bijur is still in business and the nice lady that answers the phone can hook you up with any parts you need. Different parts will have different oilers... IE: the horizontal way oilers will be different than the vertical ones. The actual injectors have numbers on them to help you order the correct parts if needed, just remember or write down where they go. I also advise you to drain and clean out the oiler sump, then refill it with some fresh way oil.

Daniel, have you got this beast running yet? I bought a B&S 612 and it was 480 volt as well. I ended up putting a KBAC27 VFD on it and with some serious wiring help/advise from the guys on Practical Machinist, she is running like a charm. One thing I will advise you to check when it is up and running, is to pop all the covers off and check the oilers. Mine has a Bijur automatic oiling system on it and some of the injectors were plugged up from the machine sitting around idle. Bijur is still in business and the nice lady that answers the phone can hook you up with any parts you need. Different parts will have different oilers... IE: the horizontal way oilers will be different than the vertical ones. The actual injectors have numbers on them to help you order the correct parts if needed, just remember or write down where they go. I also advise you to drain and clean out the oiler sump, then refill it with some fresh way oil.
Not just yet. I’ve played stupid games this year and won stupid prizes. Hopefully this next year I will get my shit together and get it running. Thanks for the tips!

Back