Bowie? WIP- New Pics

It's coming along nicely, Kevin. It's going to be a looker when it's done.
Thank you, sir. I’ll be sending it out for HT pretty soon. I don’t want to set myself up for failure here, but I’m almost finished filing/grinding this knife’s much larger brother. I’m holding pics back right now bec it’s not quite ready to show.

Sorry to jump in so late, we call that blade shape a Harpoon style. You can tighten a loose guard by setting the guard on it's edge on the anvil with the blade in it and striking it on the top edge with a hammer to close the gap. Ed Fowler call this a smash fit. Nice work

Sorry to jump in so late, we call that blade shape a Harpoon style. You can tighten a loose guard by setting the guard on it's edge on the anvil with the blade in it and striking it on the top edge with a hammer to close the gap. Ed Fowler call this a smash fit. Nice work
Thanks, Mark! I “tapped” it with the 3 lb and it got right. I’m liking these harpoon blades right now... I think they really look awesome on Bowie’s.

Yet another WIP that has been very informative for me. Looks like a Great knife and that wood grain is going to pop when you have a finish on it. great choice.

Yet another WIP that has been very informative for me. Looks like a Great knife and that wood grain is going to pop when you have a finish on it. great choice.
thanks, Mike! When I got the wood from geneK it was buffed. And man let me tell you... it is a gorgeous piece of wood. Again, I have a 99.9% of destroying it, but I’m sure trying not to. I care more about that piece of wood than the knife.

Thanks, Mark! I “tapped” it with the 3 lb and it got right. I’m liking these harpoon blades right now... I think they really look awesome on Bowie’s.

It's your knife, you get to call it what you want. I think a purist would not call it a Bowie because of it's small size and the "harpoon hump" part of the definition of a Bowie involves a point that is closer to the middle of the width of the blade than your blade. Even the much bigger knife in my avatar, which is also a harpoon style would not be a Bowie because of the harpoon element and the point being high in the profile of the knife

Again, very nice work, and you get to call it what you want.

It's your knife, you get to call it what you want. I think a purist would not call it a Bowie because of it's small size and the "harpoon hump" part of the definition of a Bowie involves a point that is closer to the middle of the width of the blade than your blade. Even the much bigger knife in my avatar, which is also a harpoon style would not be a Bowie because of the harpoon element and the point being high in the profile of the knife

Again, very nice work, and you get to call it what you want.
Thank you very much, Mark! Yes, I agree, this knife is not a Bowie. However, I didn’t know that Bowie’s shouldn’t have the harpoon. What would you call the knife in your avatar? Amazing knife by the way.

Thank you very much, Mark! Yes, I agree, this knife is not a Bowie. However, I didn’t know that Bowie’s shouldn’t have the harpoon. What would you call the knife in your avatar? Amazing knife by the way.

I call that knife a Persian Fighter mainly because it has a re-curve. All Bowies could be classified as a fighter, but not all fighters can be called a Bowie. My avatar has the harpoon element but that's not what makes it Persian. It's easy to get too technical about all this. A clip point is an element in some Bowies, but a harpoon element could be so close to a clip point in appearance that it's not easy to tell if it's a clip or a harpoon, and at that point, it really doesn't matter. Make what you want and have fun.

Last edited:
Back