Bring your Ideas

Anthony Chaney

How bout we bounce some ideas off each other? Maybe you have a simple tip to share. One thing I've noticed on some threads lately is people boring holes in the tang. I assume for weight reduction. I could be mistaken, but wouldn't tapering the tang be a much better solution. For one, i think it would make for a stronger knife, better looking, better balance too. Weigh in, I'm I right or wrong? Also share some things you have noticed that could be accomplished a little differently.

I'm just a newbie learning the trade so I don't do tapered tangs yet (I appreciate the work that goes in to tapered tangs but not a big fan of the look).

I put the multiple holes in the tang to lighten the knife and shift the balance to where I want it. It also provides a better bond allowing the epoxy to go through more places.

As far as strength goes, never seen a problem with it if it's done correctly.

Charlie

Hi Charlie, that's what I'm looking for. Someone sharing their ideas and thought processes. You brought some info to the table that I didn't consider. The part about the holes helping the epoxy to hold better. Keep the ideas coming folks!

Hi Anthony!

Those holes you mentioned are for weight reduction, which aids the overall balance of the knife. The other benefit to holes is when your gluing on handle slabs....the holes create an epoxy rivet effect. On certain knives, with certain handle materials, I will often mill a dovetail slot in the back side of the handle material to further enhance the "riveting" effect.

Speaking the the strength issue you mentioned... when I make a full tang, I not only drill those weight reduction holes, but will often add a hollow down the length of the tang. The hollow will further reduce weight, but in reality, it will increase the deflection resistance of the tang. I know that sounds counter intuitive, but it does work that way. An example would be adding a fuller to a piece of sheet metal....the fuller greatly increases the bending resistance.

When you combine the weight reduction holes, with a tapered tang, that has a hollow running down each side....there is a MAJOR difference when compared to a similar blade/knife that doesn't have those features.

I drill the holes AND taper the tang. Like Ed mentioned, the holes DO provide some weight-reduction - but for me, they are mainly for the additional "epoxy-rivets" and associated handle strength. I also often have the slight hollow down the length of the tang that Ed spoke of... but this is just a useful by-product of the way I taper my tangs rather than an intentional feature.

Erin

Ed,

Thanks for mentioning the fullering effect of the hollow.

I do hollow out my tangs prior to tapering but usually end up removing 90% of the hollow with the taper.

I think I'll try hollowing a little deeper on the next one.

-Josh

Ed, that was a great lesson. I learned a bunch just in this short thread. A long time ago there was a forum that was started as tip and tricks thread that contained a bunch of info, but just can't remember on which forum. It was prolly 5 or 6 years ago. Thanks to everyone for their input. I really eat this stuff up.

Heres a tip for drawing knives if you cant draw worth a darn like me.:eek:

I do stock removal with 1.5 inch stock so I made up a template with the lines 1.5 apart and 8 inches wide since thats about average knife size. I also have a center line for reference. I then made copys of the template so if I want to draw some knives I have them templates handy and when I erase im not erasing the guide lines. The ones I like I cut out and put in a folder and the others get trashed. The advantage of this is you can see balance and you know the knife will fit on the steel.
Kind of a lame tip but im a noob!:D

shopstuff.jpg

I have recently started to do some stock removal and have used some scrap plexiglass to draw out patterns. I draw them on paper first then transfer to the plexiglass. That gives me something I can hold in my hand and get a feel for. If it feels like it just won't work or I decide I don't like it, I haven't wasted any steel and it's cheap enough that I can make changes on another piece before I go to the steel.

Carey

I have recently started to do some stock removal and have used some scrap plexiglass to draw out patterns. I draw them on paper first then transfer to the plexiglass. That gives me something I can hold in my hand and get a feel for. If it feels like it just won't work or I decide I don't like it, I haven't wasted any steel and it's cheap enough that I can make changes on another piece before I go to the steel.

Carey

I do something similar but have been using scrap 3/4" plywood. It gives me a better feel for how I think the knife may work out. Also makes a decent template.

Charlie

To give an answer/opinion to the tapered tang question: I do a lot of "smallish" knives, say 5-6" OAL, I just like 'em. To me, these knives dont carry a tapered tang well, the handles are usually "three fingered" and it just looks stupid in my opinion. So the only thing left for balance/weight decreasing is holes or grinding the "trough". Since these knives are also fairly shallow handled, then holes are the only real option- plus you get the epoxy pin effect.

When I do a larger knife, I trough the tang and then taper it (if I taper it). Some designs look better to me with, and some without a tapered tang. If without, I just drill 1/2" holes where I can.
However, I would challenge anyone to test what the difference in failure point of the two methods would be. Given a properly fitted, epoxied, pinned/rivited handle, I would be willing to bet the poundage to break either would be far beyond any normal using force and the difference then would only be marginal. Particularly on a "blade only" hardened knife. I have always looked at tapered tangs as more of a esthetic(sp?) way of accomplishing a task, i.e. balance, feel. And then only on some designs....
From an engineering standpoint, what Ed says is mostly correct, especially on larger handles. But I contend that it would be "over-engineering"...not that there is anything wrong with that!
What do ya'll think?

Now for a "trick of the trade" - I learned this one from my esteemed friend Robert Dark:
Put masking tape on the tang side of your scales, then SGlue them together, now you cant finish the front of the scales as if they were on the knife, overlay the knife onto one side and drill the holes through both using the tang as your guide. Then, simply pry the two pieces apart- the masking tape will peel right off. Viola!

...heavy cardboard works for testing a design as well....you can even glue some on to simulate a slabbed handle...

Back