Budget small wheel

Etowah Edge

Here is an inexpensive way to get a small wheel that I have not seen on the forums before so I will show what I have been using until I got my KMG. Posting this has been on my mind and now I am selling this and some other stuff to a friend so I went ahead and took some pics today.

If you have a Grizzly or something like that, this makes a good companion for your primary grinder. The wheel is just less than 3/4" in dia.

Start with a Black & Decker "Dragster". They are pretty cheap.
DSC02255-600.jpg

Set up the forward handle and mount some tabs on the handle like so.
DSC02256-600.jpg

Raise the conveniently raisable front guard.
DSC02257-600.jpg

Mount onto your table or bench like so.
DSC02258-600.jpg

Now you have a small wheel that will get a lot done for the money. The whole thing costs less than just the small wheel itself for the big grinders
DSC02259-600.jpg

I hope this will help if you have been looking for a alternative for this type of grinding.

James

Pretty good idear there, I might try that.

Is there a platen on the bottom side or the flat area where you could use it to flatten material or glue a glass platen to?

Pretty good idear there, I might try that.

Is there a platen on the bottom side or the flat area where you could use it to flatten material or glue a glass platen to?

There is somewhat of a platen. It would be big enough for handle scales. It is the surface facing the user.

James

That is a great Idea James. See that is why I love this place, people are always coming up with something new and sharing it.

Great idea.
Heres what I came up with. I have been using it for almost a year now with no probs. I didnt have the cash for the attachment and wheels so here it is.
Thats a piece of airline hose to soften the wheel. I usually only run it on the slow or medium speed.
I hope im not hijacking yer thread.

smallwheelattachment004.jpg

smallwheelattachment003.jpg

I used it on this rough ground blade.
Iphonepics005.jpg

Hey Shankmaker thanks for that buddy,im gonna make me one of them2thumbs

Im glad I could finally help someone after mooching on here for so long!:D
I tried your etching techniques you gave me and it worked great so thanks to you Bondy.

Just what I've been looking for on the black&decker grinder. I can make the finger notches on the blades instead of using my dremel. It will make notches? since, I don't know the speed of the dragster. How wide is the belt and lenght on the black & decker dragster. Where can I find one and belts for it? Rey

I got mine at Home Depot. The belts are 3" wide I think. I can't remember the length but they are available there and other places. The speed is fine for this work but belt grit selection amounts to fine, med, or course. There is a button that holds the trigger down so you can use both hands. It beats a dremel or file for this work.

hay thanks guys good information there keep it comeing the dragster idea is to good for me no work space

Been using the dragster now for 3 months just never thought about mounting it. Works grate. Thanks for the tip.
Jerry

BTW it is a 3x21
Another BTW--5-6 months ago I saw a picture of a dragster, mounted on it's side with an extra wheel, out from the platen,
It was running a 2x72 belt, not that was cool.

You wouldn't happen to know what the thread on those handle mount screws are would you. I almost picked one of these up last weekend, but I couldn't find the right threaded screws for mountingthe tabs. They are a fine thread machine screw right?

Contact wheels

Great idea.
Heres what I came up with. I have been using it for almost a year now with no probs. I didnt have the cash for the attachment and wheels so here it is.
Thats a piece of airline hose to soften the wheel. I usually only run it on the slow or medium speed.
I hope im not hijacking yer thread.

smallwheelattachment004.jpg

smallwheelattachment003.jpg

I used it on this rough ground blade.
Iphonepics005.jpg

Where did you get those contact wheels?

Back