bullwhips

When I was in high school I braided several from 12' to 16' from the Tandy Catalog. I really enjoyed them. This was back in the late '50s and before the Raider's rage.
BTW Welcome to KD and don't worry about quoting prices. Folks are interested.

Just how long has Tandy been around?:haha::haha:

By the way Wayne, how did that cable turn out?

Thanks a lot Moon, Grrrrr!
The cable billet looks just like it did when I left Fred's. I haven't even stopped to catch my breath since I said good bye to you.:bud:

finished up an 8 footer this morning. Doing the knots is my least favorite thing to do, I had a bunch of whips completed that I kept procrastinating the finishing knots on, this is the last of them.

I tried to make this one a boomer. I started to taper much later than normal to keep weight and girth further down the thong. It makes for a heavier whip than what I usually do, but it makes quite a bang when it cracks.

002-15.jpg

the amount of paracord varies from whip to whip and depends on final length and how the taper is set up. Easily a few hundred feet per whip.

I did a 10 footer not too long ago and it took a whole 250' spool just to do the outer layer, this doesn't include the 2 plaited bellies on the inside or the lengths used for the knots. Just the knot on the but end of the whip takes around 5 feet of cord.

I don't normally keep track of strand measurements from whip to whip, but If I recall correctly I can complete a 6 footer, knots and all, with 300 feet of paracord.

WOW , those are really cool. My dad ran with some Gauchos in the 50's and he had a leather one. Man he was good with that thing. Thanks for bringing back some great memories.

When I was in high school I braided several from 12' to 16' from the Tandy Catalog. I really enjoyed them. This was back in the late '50s and before the Raider's rage.

You must have been inspired by Lash Larue to be making them that long. ;):D

These are some really great looking Whips. Outstanding work!!2thumbs

It would seem that Mr. Cowles has some good taste in choosing colors. Not long after posting pics I got a few requests for some whips that looked just like his. So I ended up making 3 others in 6, 7, and 8 foot lengths

001-17.jpg
004-6.jpg

Great product and value!

I just returned home from a trip to Chicago and Detroit (Don't go to Detroit!) and my first stop was the UPS Store to pick up my bullwhip.

This thing is a beast! I was very proficient with a bullwhip as a teenager, but just some fairly slow casual maneuvers were enough to make my junk ascend to my chest! This thing is scary. I'll have great fun getting use to playing with one again if I don't blind, disembowel, or castrate myself!

Great job and value, Stephan! Thanks. 2thumbs

I'm glad to hear you're liking it Rock. Be careful with that thing, it hurts like hell when you catch yourself by accident.

It's been a little while since I posted any pics, I started a new job and my free time has been pretty limited.
I did plait a matched pair of bullwhips for a renaissance fair performer who has been using one of my 9 footers and wanted something a little shorter to use in a two handed routine

066.jpg
068.jpg

After speaking with Rock, I'm hoping he can help me out with getting a proper logo and maybe I can weasel a few tips about getting a website up and running out of him, I'm no computer whiz so I'll be needing all the help I can get. I did pick out my company name "White North Whips" and following Rock's advice I've already acquired the domain name for it. I'm still quite a ways off from having a functional website, but at least I'm taking baby steps in the right direction.
I still need to give Rock a phone call to get some details hammered out, but I do have to thank him as he's already helped me out quite a bit with some advice that has been really helpful

Last edited:
Steph, you are a pleasure to deal with. I try to do whatever I can to help whoever I can.

We got Steph's logo right.

White North Whips logo.jpg

On a side note, my "popper" is now bright green and the trees and bushes around my house cringe in terror whenever I walk outside! I like an underhand style crack (like snapping a towel) and already see the muscle memory and accuracy coming back after thirty years! I am about where I can take off the leaf I want while leaving the ones around it intact. As a teenager, I was very consistent and could do the same thing with berries. Best of all, I haven't blinded, castrated, or disemboweled myself... yet!

Last edited:
Back