Bushing in a folder question

Txcwboy

Ive never used a bushing before. What is the guidelines for using them ? How do you decide the thickness ? I guess you dont use washers with them ?

thanks

Dave

Ive never used a bushing before. What is the guidelines for using them ? How do you decide the thickness ? I guess you dont use washers with them ?

thanks

Dave

In my slipjoint knives I make and use bushings that have a 3/16" OD and 3/32" ID, I make them .001" thicker than my blade,I do this so I can pien the 3/32" pin untill I'm sure it will disappear yet not lock the blade up so it won't pivot.
I've recently started using washers along with my bushings so that I don't have to mill out anti scratch relief inside my liners. I make my washers 3/16" ID x .280" OD x .010" thick and grind my spring .020" thicker than my blade to keep everything simetrical,this gives me .010" anti scratch relief on either side of my blade tang.
Is that clear as mud? :biggrin:

thanks

Dave
I make my bushings the thickness of the blade plus the thickness of both washers plus .002". The washers slide over the bushing. That way the liners close up tight against the ends of the bushing, leaving the washers and blade free to rotate. I don't use bushings in slipjoints, however. Just framelocks.

Back