CA glue between spacers?

Mark Barone

I saw a knife maker use ca glue between spacers and... spacers and wood. However he did use epoxy between the spacer and steel. Acceptable, not acceptable?

I saw a knife maker use ca glue between spacers and... spacers and wood. However he did use epoxy between the spacer and steel. Acceptable, not acceptable?
Personally I wouldn't do it on a permanent basis. It's seems quite a few makers use CA glue for temp glue up so they can knock the pieces apart after doing whatever shaping they're going to do.

I don't see a problem with it. I've done it myself. That said, CA glue OR epoxy should never be the only thing you're relying on to keep a handle together. I always use some kind of mechanical fastener as well, whether it's a corby bolt or a peened pin of some kind.

I tried this, and I found this out. Don’t use the medium or thick type, it leaves visible gaps. Use the thin kind. I also used accelerator, and that isn’t advisable either, unless you are crazy quick.

One trick I have found is to clamp every thing together first, this way the fit is perfect. Use the super thin CA to wick into the spacers. It’s amazing how deep it penetrates.

I agree with Bruce. Also, you can check local supply places for special CA glues. I've tried thin stuff from all the big box stores and its thin and works really well.

But then I found some REALLY water thin stuff at a local ace hardware and its incredible how thin it is and how far it wicks into cracks.

Back