Call me Mr A2 fan boy!

Frank Aguirre

I have been working on a batch of knives I goit back from Peter's HT and I finished one that I think I am going to keep. It was a breeze to profile and grind. It machine finished up very nice IMO. It gets scary sharp and stayed that way. I grabbed a 2x4 whacked it about half way through and it was still shaving sharp. I really really like this steel. I am going to go in my back yard and sharpen up a couple of 2x4's now. That is all.

What stainless steel compare to A2 in your opinion, or no contest. I have only worked with O1, AtS34 and now A2. A2 is my favorite so far. What about you?

-frank

I have used A2, D2, W2, 1084, 1090, 15n20, O1, 5160, 9260 in carbon.
and I have used ATS34, 154cm, cpm154cm and 440c.
The only steels that come close to matching A2 in my opinion are D2, W2 and 1090/1084 that I have used. A2 is by far the easiest to HT

Hey Mr. A2 fan boy!

I hope once I get enough cash, I can get a HT oven and use A2... there's just something about sending out for HT that I don't like. I've ground A2 once, but it was my first grind on a sander, and it pretty much sucked. I do remember that it was pretty easy though.

I love A2. Easy to work and like you said takes and holds a fantastic edge.

I'll join the A2 fan boy club :bud:

mo

Made from 1/8" A2 toolsteel. It has a digi-camo micarta bolster and cocobolo handles. Its around 8.75" long. Sorry for the bad cell phone pics.

IMG00100.jpg

IMG00101.jpg

What are the HT and tempering temps for A2? I've been using O2 because it's easy to HT with basic household tools and supplies.

Tool steels, such as A2, and stainless steels are two different creatures, though there can be a lot of difference within these groups. The stainless is going to be a higher alloy with a lot of nickel and chromium. There are a lot of knife makers who consider spring and tool steels superior to stainless for making knives but before one can really say that one needs to take into account how the blade is to be used in what enviornment for what job.

Doug Lester

Doug Lester

A2 is a great all around steel. Rumor has it Busse knives are A2.

Last time I got some I just called up Crucible.... They had good prices then, and I think they are in a selling mood these days ;)

Back