Carbon fiber scales?

Kevin Zito

KNIFE MAKER
Hey folks! Where do y’all get it and do you work it like wood and micarta or do I need special tools? Thanks in advance!!! Kevin

Hey folks! Where do y’all get it and do you work it like wood and micarta or do I need special tools? Thanks in advance!!! Kevin
Watch Ekims video on Carbon fiber he will give you tips on it.And the Carbonfiber Ghost has the best prices check him out on insta gram the guys name is Nate had his # but lost it sorry.

CF is some seriously nasty stuff.

The dust gets everywhere, seems like you can never get it completely cleaned up, it itches like crazy and is highly toxic to breath.

Use a respirator when grinding or cleaning it up. Always.

That said, nothing looks better on a knife IMO.

And if you're going to be doing some tactical stuff, CF is almost a prerequisite.

Not all CF is the same. There's good stuff and not so good stuff out there. I get mine from AKS and have been very happy with it.

Due to it's impact on my lungs, I no longer work with Carbon Fiber, but have used a lot of it over my career. 1st note.... PROTECT yourself! Carbon fiber is arguably one of the most health hazardous handle materials a knifemaker can use! If you can imagine throwing a container of black baby powder into the air in your shop, you have a slight idea of how nasty/dirty working carbon fiber can be. Once you get the dust into your lungs or mucus membranes, it will not come out..... it's like tiny barbs that embed and stay, and it's effects are cumulative. It's one of the things they found when they did a biopsy on "spots" they pulled from my lungs....... so coming from someone who knows...... if you feel you must use it.... PROTECT YOURSELF!

Next, it will dull ANY tool it touches. Don't even think about trying to cut it with a wood cutting saw....the blade will be wrecked within a few seconds. Working it is akin to working titanium when it comes to it's ability to dull/chew up belts and tooling.

When I did use it, I learned quickly that I had to charge significantly more for it, just to recoup the costs of wrecked blades, bits, etc.

I’ve heard all I need to hear. Like they say on Shark tank, I’m out. It’s beautiful, no doubt, but there are too many other beautiful things that I’m gonna try first. Thanks guys! As always, you’ve saved me time and money.

Back