Carbon steel

There is a lot of debate going on about carbon steel. I wrote my opinion in a short article here:

https://makesg.wordpress.com/2015/07/22/why-i-like-carbon-steel/

What do you think, is carbon steel otdated?
I like Your article, but I doubt if I understand the question....what means otdated?.....olddated?Google cannot translate that....but anyways
it is a little bit like a small talk question...like:
what do You think is Diesel oil otdated?....

I'm sorry Jeremiah, I meant outdated. Anyway, what do you think to be a real conversation starter in this regard?

Stainless steel and non-stainless steels used for knife making all have high carbon levels - Your are debating non-stainless versus stainless, I presume?

I'm sorry Jeremiah, I meant outdated. Anyway, what do you think to be a real conversation starter in this regard?
well, this time I was a bit slow...of course: outdated.....didnt came to my mind.
I think like Steve said, maybe its more stain v/s non stainless, ...You just have to find someone who argues the subject....I am not suitable, because I share the most of Your opinion:60: ....

I have to assume that you are using the words "carbon steel" to refer to the non-stainless varieties of steel. Frankly, the only advantage that a "stainless" steel has over a "non-stainless" is the level of care/maintenance.

Over the last decade or so, the choice that knife buyers make has leaned heavily towards the "flavor of the month", that meaning that more individuals purchase a knife based on the "cool factor" of the steel used, rather then how well it fuctions as a knife. I am reminded of the period of time when a material called Talonite was all the rage because it was different and the "mall ninja" crowd thought it was so cool. After that it was CPMS30V.....I actually produced a number of knives from that particular steel, and found it to be some of the most troublesome steel that I have ever used. It was very difficult to work, and to this day, many of those S30V blades come back to me on a regular basis, simply because the owners can't sharpen them.

Knifemaking, and knives in general is all about trade offs.... there is no "ideal" steel for a knife, that covers all the "wants" of everyone. Each individual must decide for themselves those characteristics they value most, and seek a steel that most closely provides those characteristics.

Time and experience has taught me that the major factors most knowledgable buyers/users value in a knife are edge retention, toughness, and EASE OF SHARPENING. In all of those catagories, the favor falls to "carbon steel". Speaking personally, there are only two reasons that I can see why a person would choose a stainless blade.... 1. Their primary concern is minimal maintenance. 2. Bragging rights about having a blade made of the "latest and greatest" steel.

Right, wrong, or indifferent, what I spoke about earlier.... The Cool Factor, is currently the biggest selling point for most knife buyers, particularly in the tactical arena. An example is... most of use have seen the "multi-grinds" that are all the rage these days (a single blade that is partially hollow ground, partially flat ground, etc.) From a using standpoint, these blade are next to useless, but they sell very well because they look "cool".

What I foresee is that the current trend towards more and more stainless steel will continue for a while....but as the masses of a new generation discover its short comings for a blade, the focus will shift towards carbon steels again. I've been at this long enough to have seen this cycle take place before.....the only thing that changes are the names of the stainless steels.

Last edited:
Preach!!!! Ed, you are the man, you hit it right on the head. I completely agree with everything you have said. at the beginning of this year i made a dozen or so blades from s30v and have now completely switched back to carbon steels, to be specific 1084. the s30v was "cool" and really did make people "ooh and ahh" but it was awful to grind, ruined so many belts, and yes it absolutely sucked to sharpen haha. reason i went to s30v was because i wanted to make some bird n trout knives that would spend time near the sea; Regardless the customer managed to allow the blade to rust, granted it was his own neglect, but i believe much of it was based his false mindset that a SS won't rust etc.... anyhow I'm back with carbon steels and couldn't be happier, the customers/collectors who know better will actually prefer it and I'm not spending an eternity at the grinder nor am i paying the big bucks to get the blades heatreated/cryogenically treated anymore.

Last edited:
Back