Carbonfiber?

Where does everyone source their CF handles from? So many different choices/grades out there not sure which to use. Glossy both sides, patterns, etc. not having much luck with 1/4" slabs in stock at the regular suppliers.

thanks!
P

I don't have any "regular" suppliers of carbon fiber, but rather look at several outfit online to find what I'm looking for. Personally, I don't use carbon fiber unless its specifically ordered on a knife. My reason are that its terribly nasty stuff to work, dulls any and every tool that touches it, and just finishing out a handle will make your shop look like somebody threw a full container of black baby powder into the air, and it settled everywhere.

Those are just minor compared to the health hazards. Having already had TWO lungs surgeries, and finding that those were caused mainly from "shop dusts", its most certainly a material which REQUIRES you use a GOOD respirator. We're all "ten foot tall and bulletproof", until the Doc tells you you have tumors in your lungs! If you must use carbon fiber, do it sensibly, and protect yourself.

I don't have any "regular" suppliers of carbon fiber, but rather look at several outfit online to find what I'm looking for. Personally, I don't use carbon fiber unless its specifically ordered on a knife. My reason are that its terribly nasty stuff to work, dulls any and every tool that touches it, and just finishing out a handle will make your shop look like somebody threw a full container of black baby powder into the air, and it settled everywhere.

Those are just minor compared to the health hazards. Having already had TWO lungs surgeries, and finding that those were caused mainly from "shop dusts", its most certainly a material which REQUIRES you use a GOOD respirator. We're all "ten foot tall and bulletproof", until the Doc tells you you have tumors in your lungs! If you must use carbon fiber, do it sensibly, and protect yourself.

Thankyou for the advice Ed. Just ordered a full face 3M respirator...
P.

Remember that all of that carbon fiber dust will be in your shop after grinding it until it gets vacuumed out or you inhale it! I'm surprised Ed works with it at all after the health night mares he's been through.

I just can't stand the itchy feeling that I got from Carbon fiber on my hands or any exposed skin areas and I want to keep my lungs free of as mush Cr&% as possible!

Stay safe & have fun!

I use it from time to time and dislike it for the reasons Mr. Caffrey mentioned an more. It's itchy stuff even with long sleeves. That said I used to get it from black site carbon fiber. I'm not even sure they're still in business. I stocked up a little while back before I was even competent behind the grinder and have had no need to look for a reasonably priced source. I would recommend looking at pics of finished knives to determine the tightness of the weave you want. I also stay clear of LSCF because I have no desire to struggle with finish handle material that has pokey brass barbs...

Thankyou for the advice Ed. Just ordered a full face 3M respirator...
P.

So just realized that my full face 3m 6900 isnt intended for those that wear glasses...

Anyone wear a full face with glasses? Need to figure this out since return is not an option.

Fred,
When you scuba dive, you rub a bit of a raw potato on the inside of the face plate to keep it from fogging up, The other one I've used is heavily diluted Wisk Detergent, about 20 to 1 Water to Wisk to keep my face plate from fogging We have it in a bucket on the boat and dip the faceplate/mask in it before our dives. works for about 40 minutes which is about an air tanks worth. You could try the Potato first since I'm sure you have one around and then give the Wisk a try after. Put a few drops on a wet sponge and wipe the inside of the mask.

I hope this helps you some? Good Luck!

Fred,
When you scuba dive, you rub a bit of a raw potato on the inside of the face plate to keep it from fogging up, The other one I've used is heavily diluted Wisk Detergent, about 20 to 1 Water to Wisk to keep my face plate from fogging We have it in a bucket on the boat and dip the faceplate/mask in it before our dives. works for about 40 minutes which is about an air tanks worth. You could try the Potato first since I'm sure you have one around and then give the Wisk a try after. Put a few drops on a wet sponge and wipe the inside of the mask.

I hope this helps you some? Good Luck!

Great tips! I was referring to the glasses comprimising the seal of the mask. Noticed the make a spectacle kit, but it cost more than mask itself. May have to rig someting...

Great tips! I was referring to the glasses comprimising the seal of the mask. Noticed the make a spectacle kit, but it cost more than mask itself. May have to rig someting...

Flatter glasses or find some cheap flat readers from the drug store?

Back