CCF hawk, what shold I do with it?

S

sumoj275

I got this hawk from Cold Creek Forge. Now I need some ideas as to what will look good on it. I am thinking about patina the head some more, possibly a wrap of the handle with a rawhide bone that has been soaked and stretched, or finish the haft off and do some design woodburning and tack work. Ideas and pics of what you are thinking.
Thanks

Oops, here is the pic.
CCF1.jpg

Oops, here is the pic.
CCF1.jpg

thats a nice hawk..i would stain the handle a dark cherry or mahogany. then do some woodburning and some scrollwork. the blade could be blackened darker and some filework would make it even better....

one thing i would do is take some of the handle down at the top of the head.

good luck with however you decide to do it..its a good looking hawk..

Some patina on the head and rawhide on the handle should be nice and brass tackles.

Seved

That's a nice hawk. Look at my thread in this section and take a look at what I did to my new hawk, maybe it will give you some ideas.

Thanks guys. Officially on summer break now so I will be thinking it over the Memorial Day weekend and make a decision.

There's an awful lot of cool things you can do to dress up a nice hawk like that! Get you a catalog from Crazy Crow, they sell all kindsa beads, tacks, feathers, and other neat things to personalize your hawk, knife or gun. Dixie GunWorks has some cool stuff too. Both catalogs/sites are just plain fun to read through.

I'm partial to forced patinas, I would sand it down to bare steel and start messin' with mustard and vinegar and cold blue.

If you don't mind non-traditional materials, 550 cord makes a great durable, grippy surface for wrapping a hawk handle. Drill a small hole near the butt end and oil/finish the haft however you want. Run your cord thru the hole and straight up along the handle (on the "finger" side) as high as you want; I use electrical tape at the beginning, middle and end of the first line of cord, to keep it lined up straight. It won't show when you're done. Then wrap it around all the way back down. Go back thru the hole and tie off to the beginning end and/or make a wrist loop there. Soak the 550 cord in hot water first, and wrap it tight as you can. It will stretch a little when wet, and tighten as it dries, almost like rawhide, but it won't loosen up or get mushy if it gets wet, like rawhide does.

Have fun! Hawks are great fun to customize and use!

Last edited:
A bunch of originals - all western mid to late 1800's, not on all of them the handle sticks up no more than 1/2" above the top of the head....Deco includes tacks, brass wire wraps, and file branding

peacemakers-pg-020-1.jpg
peacemakers-pg-012.jpg

peacemakers-pg-010.jpg
peacemakers-pg-008.jpg

peacemakers-pg-007.jpg
peacemakers-pg-003.jpg

to see some of my work on tomahawks go to www.wrtcleather.com and browse through the various galleries - here's a recent one with an incised carved rawhide wrapped grip
cr-33-pipehawk-1.jpg

but it won't loosen up or get mushy if it gets wet, like rawhide does
rawhide won't get mushy if you seal it the way was done in the past - traditional whiteman sealer was spar varnish. NDNz used varying products such as prickly pear cactus juice and hide glue dependent on area - neither are waterproof but are a pretty good sealer and in the high dry west where traditionally rawhide was (and still is) used in any quantity they work fine.

Last edited:
Thanks for the tip, Chuck, I didn't know that! Please share any more tips/techniques you may have, your hawks are gorgeous.

Man, I am really liking what I am seeing. I need to get started on some decisions.

Back