Chefs Knife Design / Your Opinion Please!

Diamond G Knives

Hello All
Im working up a batch of kitchen knives. Doing research only made me realize just how many styles of blade shapes there are under the title "Chefs Knife"! While I have worked as a cook, Im by no means a chef.

Somtething else Ive seen is this could be a Chevy/Ford/Dodge discussion. Everyone having their own opinion.

Looking for input on design as well as construction. This is W2, have a couple in 52100 in the works.

On handle construction, Im planning on Stabilized wood or Micarta, but on a hard use knife such as a kitchen knife are Epoxy and pins OK, or are Corby type fasteners needed for the added mechanical bond.

As I said all input is welcomed!

chef 02.jpgChef 01.jpg

P.S.
Sorry for the poor photo quality, cell phone is all I have right now :(

Thanks and God Bless
Mike

Here are some sketches. Im more concerned with the curve of the cutting edge and how it will perfect the performance.

chef knife blade curve.jpg

Any prefrence?

Thanks and God Bless
Mike

Both A and B .. Depending on the end user! I would offer both options, some like a flatter blade.. and others like to have some belly for rockage! I say make what you like for the first few. and then you can always make changes from there on future knives.

Most of all, Have fun! :)

One personal preference I have is that I like the main cutting edge be parallel to the handle. I don't have to bend my wrist at an awkward angle. I also like a slight belly on my blades.

I do agree with HHH, it depends on the end user.

If your still gathering info on this topic?
It is a 6 of one and half a dozen of the other answer on curve verses straight Blade as others have said.
I make both!.
I always use the Loveless type bolts rather than Corbys fine ones.
The reason is I can make the handles/Bolsters any thickness I wish. I get em from K & G Supply. You do need to purchase the Step Drill with them. You can go get 8/32nds bolts at most any hardware store, To match up with the Loveless round nuts. if you need even longer bolts for a certain project. Also with these bolts and epoxy,
The handle won't go anywhere from the knife for the next hundred years!
So, Yes. My vote goes with solid fasteners & Epoxy for Culinary Knives. over just pins & epoxy.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input folks!
Hope to have these finished in the next week, both of the W-2 blades were clay coated at Peters Heat Treat and are showing a killer Hamon! I had forgotten how fun hand sanding 11" blades was!!!!

Thanks Again and God Bless
Mike

I would "square" the choil/handle transition a little bit. You are giving up a little bit of cutting edge length.

It should have this grind....

[video=youtube;FfN9_B9Hvvw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfN9_B9Hvvw[/video]

Back