Christmas present for a friend

backtines

Sorry , I havent been around here for a while .. The month of November for me is nuts .. Did some hunting in Illinois with my son and some bow hunting here and just been busy at work .

Since my last post Ive made 3 knives and Ive only had the chance to take pics and show you this one .. (Shame on me !)

This is a rounded off clip point I made for a friend of a friend . He wanted it by Saturday because hes going to Florida to give it to a friend for a Chrismas Gift.

I finished it up last night.. The Damascus is from HHH , G10 spacers , stainless 416 bolsters and pins brused finish to 1200gt. Nice Stabilized scales.

Randy, Thanks for rushing out the billet !

Beautiful work Mike.
Nice crisp lines and I'm diggin the brushed satin bolsters. Was your mark punched or etched, looks good ?

Rudy

Mike Very nice.. I am now waiting for it.. It is now 22 below out so send it quick. I am by the mailbox. IT should make someone happy. Oh the checks in the mail. :sad: KT

Beautiful work Mike.
Nice crisp lines and I'm diggin the brushed satin bolsters. Was your mark punched or etched, looks good ?

Rudy

Thanks Rudy, I punched the logo this time around , I didnt get a deep enough etch on the last one and I left in the FC too long and it just wasnt pronounced enogh . So I decided to make another one for him and thats this one .

MAybe Ill pop a few pics up just to show you.. I personally wasnt happy with it and besides that the handle and bolsers came out too fat and heavy.. I used hidden pins in the bolsters and I made them out of wood , so I was affraid to keep grinding the bolsters down . Affraid to reach the pins . So setteled for it heavy and It just didnt do it for me ..

Thanks guys for the kind words . The knife was just picked up and will be delivered tomorrow ..
Thanks again

Very nice knife and sheath too! Looks like you did an excellent job. I'm wondering how you went about etching the perimeter of the blade after attaching and shaping out the handle and bolsters. I've struggled with this and wonder if you have any tips?

Very nice knife and sheath too! Looks like you did an excellent job. I'm wondering how you went about etching the perimeter of the blade after attaching and shaping out the handle and bolsters. I've struggled with this and wonder if you have any tips?

This is something that I've struggled with for a white too. I got a few great tips from Josh Dabney and Rudy Joly..

You need to drill all your holes undersized and then ream them to the size pin your gonna use.. For example I used to use a 1/8 " bit for a 1/8 " pin . Now I drill undersized and then ream to I/8. Now when I put everything together , there's hardly no play at all..

I assemble the whole knife and finish the knife as best as I could especially spine and belly working it like you would finish the knife.. After that's done , I etch my blade and then reassemble .

Hope this helps..

Back